Re: Beowulf clusters

Discussion in 'Python' started by Oscar Benjamin, Jan 14, 2013.

  1. On 14 January 2013 02:46, Mark Janssen <> wrote:
    > On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 8:37 PM, Oscar Benjamin
    > <> wrote:
    >> On 14 January 2013 02:33, Mark Janssen <> wrote:
    >>> Lol, well that's why I'm asking. I don't see how they can do it
    >>> without considerable difficulties.

    >> What do you want the GIL for across machines? The normal purpose of
    >> the GIL is to preserve the integrity of Python's in-memory data
    >> structures. These are only accessible within one process so what good
    >> would a multi-process GIL be?

    > Excuse me, I actually thought you knew what you were talking about.

    Steady on...

    > A Beowulf cluster, by it's nature, is across many-machines. Now you
    > can't have a GIL and a single python program across many-machines
    > without some tricks. I'm just wondering how (or if) they solved that
    > problem....

    You've used the word 'program'. I used the word 'process'. I have used
    HPC clusters that I assume count as Beowulf clusters. However, I have
    never used them in such a way that a single process occurred on
    multiple machines (the idea seems absurd to me). Maybe I've missed
    something here...

    Oscar

    Oscar Benjamin, Jan 14, 2013