Re: Beowulf clusters

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mark Janssen, Jan 14, 2013.

  1. Mark Janssen

    Mark Janssen Guest

    On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 8:37 PM, Oscar Benjamin
    <> wrote:
    > On 14 January 2013 02:33, Mark Janssen <> wrote:
    >> Lol, well that's why I'm asking. I don't see how they can do it
    >> without considerable difficulties.

    > What do you want the GIL for across machines? The normal purpose of
    > the GIL is to preserve the integrity of Python's in-memory data
    > structures. These are only accessible within one process so what good
    > would a multi-process GIL be?

    Excuse me, I actually thought you knew what you were talking about. A
    Beowulf cluster, by it's nature, is across many-machines. Now you
    can't have a GIL and a single python program across many-machines
    without some tricks. I'm just wondering how (or if) they solved that
    problem....

    mark
    Mark Janssen, Jan 14, 2013