Re: Best practices for declared exceptions

Discussion in 'Java' started by Sigfried, Aug 29, 2008.

  1. Sigfried

    Sigfried Guest

    Arne Vajhøj a écrit :
    > Sigfried wrote:
    >> is there any pros to declare unchecked exceptions ? I'm asking since
    >> there is no warning in eclipse for this case.
    >>
    >> I'm asking for a rational, or better, an example of something which
    >> can't be done whitout declaring some unchecked exception (i don't want
    >> to start a troll).

    > You want to respond the contentiousness producer and have him spend time
    > trying to figure out what the wisdom is ?

    what the ? My english is not good enough to get that.

    Sigfried, Aug 29, 2008

  2. Sigfried

    Guest

    > > You want to respond the contentiousness producer and have him spend time
    > > trying to figure out what the wisdom is ?

    > what the ? My english is not good enough to get that.

    Ah, the impersonator strikes again... If you look closely, you'll find
    he just paraphrased the real Arne's response with some random words in
    order to have an outlet for the political message in his signature.
    Please ignore him.

    , Aug 29, 2008

  3. Sigfried wrote:
    > Arne Vajhøj a écrit :
    >> Sigfried wrote:
    >>> is there any pros to declare unchecked exceptions ? I'm asking since
    >>> there is no warning in eclipse for this case.
    >>>
    >>> I'm asking for a rational, or better, an example of something which
    >>> can't be done whitout declaring some unchecked exception (i don't
    >>> want to start a troll).

    >> You want to respond the contentiousness producer and have him spend time
    >> trying to figure out what the wisdom is ?

    > what the ? My english is not good enough to get that.

    You appear to be using Thunderbird. Select the message you replied to,
    press control-U and inspect the headers carefully.

    Compare the headers, message-body and signatures of the imposter with
    those of the real Arne.

    I find it best to ignore messages from this imposter. You can do so
    without losing Arne (and others) genuine postings. I use a news server
    that disregards the falsified "supersedes" headers in the imposters
    postings. I configure Thunderbird's filters to distinguish the imposter
    from the experts.

    I find NewsProxy helpful too.

    --
    RGB

    RedGrittyBrick, Aug 29, 2008
  4. Sigfried

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Sigfried wrote:
    > Arne Vajhøj a écrit :
    >> Sigfried wrote:
    >>> is there any pros to declare unchecked exceptions ? I'm asking since
    >>> there is no warning in eclipse for this case.
    >>>
    >>> I'm asking for a rational, or better, an example of something which
    >>> can't be done whitout declaring some unchecked exception (i don't
    >>> want to start a troll).

    >> You want to respond the contentiousness producer and have him spend time
    >> trying to figure out what the wisdom is ?

    > what the ? My english is not good enough to get that.

    Your English is good enough.

    That is the output from some kind of random generator
    created by an Ukrainian spammer known as NewsMaestro.

    Just configure your newsreader to not show hist posts - like
    most other people already have.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 29, 2008

    Hendrik Maryns, Sep 1, 2008
  6. Hendrik Maryns wrote:

    > RedGrittyBrick schreef:
    >> postings. I configure Thunderbird's filters to distinguish the imposter
    >> from the experts.

    > I’d like to do that as well, but it won’t let me filter on custom
    > headers for newsgroups. Do you have an extension installed that makes
    > this possible for you?

    For the more difficult ones I installed NewsProxy 1.2.4 and pointed
    Thunderbird at that. You can have NewsProxy drop postings but I have it
    insert a prefix into the subject header that I then match with a
    Thunderbird Filter.

    Start at
    <http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html>

    Here's a NewsProxy filter I use
    <rot13>
    * NSYNT:ARJFZNRFGEB AAGC-Cbfgvat-Ubfg:*.grarg.bqrffn.hn
    * NSYNT:SNXRFGRE fhcrefrqrf:*
    * NSYNT:TT Zrffntr-VQ:*tbbtyrtebhcf*
    </rot13>

    And a corresponding Thunderbird filter:

    <rot13>
    Svygre anzr: arjfznrfgeb
    (*) zngpu nal bs
    Sebz ortvaf jvgu ARJFZNRFGEB
    Sebz ortvaf jvgu Nyzbaq
    Sebz ortvaf jvgu Anq
    Sebz ortvaf jvgu Nyrknaqre Arifxl
    Sebz ortvaf jvgu Sbegvffvzb THV
    Cresbez gurfr npgvbaf:
    Znex Nf Ernq
    Gnt Zrffntr Gebyy
    </rot13>

    I first set up a new Tag name with a suitable color.

    Note that this only works if your news (NNTP) server provides the
    relevant headers for an "overview" request from the News reader
    application. At home I had to switch to a free NNTP service
    (motzarella.org) instead of using my ISP's NNTP server.

    From <http://www.nfilter.org/faq.html>
    "To find a list of overview fields, connect to your news server on
    port 119 using telnet. Type "list overview.fmt" and press enter.
    You should see a response like this:
    list overview.fmt
    215 Order of fields in overview database.