Re: bIDIRECTIONAL hift register

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Gabor Sz, Feb 22, 2011.

  1. Gabor Sz

    Gabor Sz Guest

    On Monday, February 21, 2011 10:53:24 PM UTC-5, fido t wrote:
    > Hello, I'm unable to design an architectural layout for a bidirectional 8-bit shift register using d flip flop.Kindly help me with the same
    > Regards

    I would suggest using a horizontal layout, as shifting
    is easier to understand when it goes left to right or
    right to left. Vertical layout would require the more
    difficult up- and down-shifting, which as anyone who has
    driven a standard transmission knows, is not for the
    beginner. Finally the horizontal layout fits better
    on your wide-screen monitor.

    HTH,
    Gabor

    Gabor Sz, Feb 22, 2011

  2. On Feb 22, 6:40 am, Gabor Sz <> wrote:
    > On Monday, February 21, 2011 10:53:24 PM UTC-5, fido t wrote:
    > > Hello, I'm unable to design an architectural layout for a bidirectional8-bit shift register using d flip flop.Kindly help me with the same
    > > Regards

    > I would suggest using a horizontal layout, as shifting
    > is easier to understand when it goes left to right or
    > right to left.  Vertical layout would require the more
    > difficult up- and down-shifting, which as anyone who has
    > driven a standard transmission knows, is not for the
    > beginner.  Finally the horizontal layout fits better
    > on your wide-screen monitor.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Gabor

    Not true. The vertical layout works *just fine* so long as you use
    '1' for up, and '0' for down. You do need to stop clocking when you
    are done shifting, otherwise when direction goes to zero all of the
    bits will start sliding down.

    RK

    GoogleGoonsAreClueless, Feb 22, 2011