Re: BIG successes of Lisp (was ...)

Discussion in 'Python' started by mike420@ziplip.com, Oct 16, 2003.

  1. Guest

    > Scott McKay wrote:
    >
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>In the context of LATEX, some Pythonista asked what the big
    >>>successes of Lisp were. I think there were at least three big
    >>>successes.

    >>>a. AFAIK Orbitz frequently has to be shut down for maintenance
    >>>(read "full garbage collection" - I'm just guessing: with
    >>>generational garbage collection, you still have to do full
    >>>garbage collection once in a while, and on a system like that
    >>>it can take a while)
    >>>

    >> Not true. The servers do get restarted a couple of times
    >> a day to get new data loads, which are huge.

    How pathetic. "Server farm" notwithstanding, the WHOLE WEB
    SITE gets closed for prolonged periods of time. For comparison,
    Travelocity and Expedia are up 24/7.

    , Oct 16, 2003

  2. writes:

    > > Scott McKay wrote:

    > >> Not true. The servers do get restarted a couple of times
    > >> a day to get new data loads, which are huge.

    > How pathetic. "Server farm" notwithstanding, the WHOLE WEB
    > SITE gets closed for prolonged periods of time.

    Sounds broken to me - irrespective of any language used.

    > For comparison, Travelocity and Expedia are up 24/7.

    The sad thing is this is about the only thing they have going for
    them.

    /Jon

    Jon S. Anthony, Oct 16, 2003