Re: BIG successes of Lisp

Discussion in 'Python' started by mike420@ziplip.com, Oct 14, 2003.

  1. Guest

    Ivan Toshkov wrote:

    > Besides, when I read the description of orbiz, I was with the
    > impression, that they prealocated the memory for just that reason: to
    > remove the need for garbage collection.

    An why would anyone do something this gross to optimize something
    that is *not* a real bottleneck? Think when you read. The fact is,
    they still had close their whole web site for maintenance every
    once in a while (I never said if it was a supercomputer cluser or
    a DOS machine) I added "AFAIK" qualifier because it *may*
    be an old and already resolved issue.

    Edi Weitz and Joe Marshall, you may stop kissing ass now. You
    need brains to work for ITA, not lips.
    , Oct 14, 2003

  2. Joe Marshall Guest

    writes:

    > Ivan Toshkov wrote:
    >

    >> Besides, when I read the description of orbiz, I was with the
    >> impression, that they prealocated the memory for just that reason: to
    >> remove the need for garbage collection.

    > An why would anyone do something this gross to optimize something
    > that is *not* a real bottleneck? Think when you read. The fact is,
    > they still had close their whole web site for maintenance every
    > once in a while (I never said if it was a supercomputer cluser or
    > a DOS machine) I added "AFAIK" qualifier because it *may*
    > be an old and already resolved issue.
    >
    > Edi Weitz and Joe Marshall, you may stop kissing ass now. You
    > need brains to work for ITA, not lips.

    I'm well aware of the necessary qualifications for working at ITA.
    I worked there. Any shutdown at Orbitz was (and is) unrelated to
    garbage collection.
    Joe Marshall, Oct 14, 2003