Re: boost python & 2.3

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dave Reed, Aug 2, 2003.

  1. Dave Reed

    Dave Reed Guest

    On Saturday 02 August 2003 12:31, Robin Becker wrote:
    > I'm having trouble building boost python with Python 2.3 & msvc. I

    don't
    > remember this with 2.2.3 so I guess it must be related to 2.3. I'm
    > seeing lots of this
    >
    > C:\Python\devel\boost_1_30_0\boost/detail/ob_call_traits.hpp(89) : see
    > declaration of 'call_traits_chooser'
    > C:\Python\devel\boost_1_30_0\boost/detail/ob_call_traits.hpp(90) :

    error
    > C2059: syntax error : '{'
    > C:\Python\devel\boost_1_30_0\boost/detail/ob_call_traits.hpp(90) :

    error
    > C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '{'
    > C:\Python\devel\boost_1_30_0\boost/detail/ob_call_traits.hpp(93) :

    error
    > C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '{'
    > C:\Python\devel\boost_1_30_0\boost/detail/ob_call_traits.hpp(94) :

    error
    > C2955: 'type' : use of class template requires
    > template argument list
    >
    > Any ideas?
    > --
    > Robin Becker

    What version of boost are you using? 1.30.0 won't work with Python
    2.3; however, the CVS version of boost does work with Python
    2.3. David Abrahams has indicated this on the boost list and I can
    confirm that it does work with Python 2.3 (at least on a Solaris 9
    system).

    Dave
    Dave Reed, Aug 2, 2003

  2. Dave Reed wrote:
    > What version of boost are you using? 1.30.0 won't work with Python
    > 2.3; however, the CVS version of boost does work with Python
    > 2.3. David Abrahams has indicated this on the boost list and I can
    > confirm that it does work with Python 2.3 (at least on a Solaris 9
    > system).

    On Linux too -- if and when you can get it all downloaded from
    sourceforge (this has proved to be a real problem for me -- I did
    manage once on my own machine, but later failed twice on another
    machine despite the latter having excellent net backbone access),
    and with an annoying but apparently ineliminable warning about
    double definition of _POSIX_C_SOURCE on just about each file that
    does get compiled (it gets defined in both /usr/include/features.h and
    /usr/local/include/python2.3/pyconfig.h), which, however, does seem
    to be "benign" (quite annoying, but not really problematic).

    Alex
    Alex Martelli, Aug 4, 2003

  3. Dave Reed

    Robin Becker Guest

    In article <>, David Abrahams
    <> writes
    >ematic).
    >
    >I'm pretty sure this is just the "must include Python.h before any
    >other system header" problem. That translates into "must include a
    >Boost.Python header before any system header" when using Boost.Python.
    >
    >This issue is non-boost/non-python-specific. It's all about Posix.

    this may be true, but it only started to cause problems on win32 with
    2.3 vs 1.30.0. If its a Posix issuePosix must be really devilish :)
    --
    Robin Becker
    Robin Becker, Aug 5, 2003