Re: Browser Question

Discussion in 'HTML' started by cwdjrxyz, Jun 29, 2008.

  1. cwdjrxyz

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Jun 29, 2:30 am, Neredbojias <me@http://www.neredbojias.net/_eml/
    fliam.php> wrote:
    > Recently I was interested in browser usage stats so I Googled for "browser
    > usage" which gave me this link as #1:
    >
    > http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    >
    > There may be some variation in other statistical reports, but I'm sure the
    > basic trend holds.  My question is this: Why is Opera's share of the market
    > so pitifully small?  It's a nice browser to use, one can obtain almost as big
    > a viewport as in Firefox, and its minimal operational bugs have been
    > continuously corrected with time.  It's parses more correctly than Firefox or
    > anything else I know of, and it's just as free.  Nevertheless, it has less
    > than a 2% market share and FF has at least a 30% share.
    >
    > This really puzzles me.

    People who go to the w3 schools site are at least somewhat interested
    in computer code, so they are more likely to have downloaded another
    browser in addition to the browser that came with the computer - often
    an IE one. I would guess much of the general public that uses
    computers could care less about browsers or code. Even Microsoft has
    to push fairly hard to get people to keep their IE and OS updated.
    Thus Microsoft security programs push automatic updates hard, although
    they will let you select updates yourself with a little trouble. The
    most popular non-IE browser in the US and much of the world is no
    doubt Firefox, but I would guess that it would have much less than a
    30% share for sites where average computer users go. Yes Opera is a
    good browser, and perhaps more standards correct than Firefox. It does
    have a few issues with some media formats from time to time, and media
    is a big thing for much of the general public. The media issues often
    are the fault of junk code rather than anything wrong that Opera does.

    Of course the browsers that most people are using are free these days
    and generate nothing but good will for the companies that distribute
    them. I have heard that the company that gives Opera away is strong in
    small devices, especially in Europe, and that is likely where they
    make much of their profit. You have to be able to write very efficient
    browers and to handle xml code well to cater to this market.

    cwdjrxyz, Jun 29, 2008