Re: Browser survey

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Travis Newbury, Jul 3, 2008.

  1. On Jul 3, 4:23 am, Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:
    > Travis Newbury wrote:
    > >Presenting the content in a manner that is _most_ profitable for a
    > >corporation does not rely on accessibility.

    > Evidence, please.

    Barbie.com

    Travis Newbury, Jul 3, 2008

  2. On 2008-07-03, Travis Newbury wrote:
    > On Jul 3, 4:23 am, Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:
    >> Travis Newbury wrote:
    >> >Presenting the content in a manner that is _most_ profitable for a
    >> >corporation does not rely on accessibility.

    >> Evidence, please.

    > Barbie.com

    On what grounds do you state that it it is "_most_ profitable"?

    Author:

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Jul 3, 2008

  3. On Jul 3, 1:23 pm, "Chris F.A. Johnson" <> wrote:
    > >> Evidence, please.

    > > Barbie.com

    >     On what grounds do you state that it it is "_most_ profitable"?

    I said "Presenting the content in a manner that is _most_ profitable
    for a
    corporation does not rely on accessibility. "

    Meaning, accessibility is not REQUIRED (or relied upon) to be most
    profitable. I was not stating what WOULD make it most profitable,
    only that accessibility does not guarantee profitability.

    Barbie.com displays that. It is not accessible at all, it is fixed
    width, but, it continues to make money both directly ( direct web site
    sales) and indirectly (motivating young girls to purchase Barbie and
    accessories, advertising). If you were involved in Barbie.com you
    would have been able to watch it evolve to its present state. Trying
    different things over the years.

    Travis Newbury, Jul 3, 2008
  4. On Jul 3, 5:49 pm, Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:
    > Are you by any chance aware that I worked at Mattel and was
    > part of the meetings where it was decided what Barbie.com.
    > Mattel.com, etc. should look like?

    So you are to blame?

    Travis Newbury, Jul 3, 2008
  5. On Jul 3, 5:49 pm, Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:
    > Travis Newbury wrote:
    >
    > >Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:

    > >> Evidence, please.

    > >Barbie.com

    > Are you by any chance aware that I worked at Mattel and was
    > part of the meetings where it was decided what Barbie.com.
    > Mattell.com, etc. should look like?

    That's not what your resume says....
    "Mattel - 02-2000 to 07-2001; I was the project manager / engineer for
    Diva Starz, Mattel's best selling new toy for the year 2000. I managed
    a sixteen person, two city design team that brought the product from
    the original concept at high-volume manufacturing in China."

    No mention of the web on your resume at all except the"bit of web
    authoring" you did for Pacific Power. But no matter, you can still
    attest to the fact that it is NOT the same website today as it was in
    2001, 7 years ago. (which kinda of proves thank you very much)

    Travis Newbury, Jul 3, 2008
  6. On Jul 3, 6:21 pm, Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:
    > I am holding off on describing exactly how Mattel makes
    > such decisions until you dig yourself into a deeper hole.
    > Dilbert sugercoats corporate decision-making.  The reality
    > is far, far stupider.

    Why don't you indulge us on your 7 year old knowledge

    Travis Newbury, Jul 3, 2008
  7. On Jul 3, 6:54 pm, Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:
    > > Why don't you indulge us on your 7 year old knowledge

    > You imagine that the decision-making methods have changed?

    I am sure they have.

    > Or that I haven't done any consulting there recently?

    This is usenet, you can claim anything you like, I neither believe or
    disbelieve what people say

    > Or that I don't spend time with any current employees
    > who tell me how things are going?

    Again, this is usenet.

    > Please, go on telling us about the millions spent on
    > research that went into barbie.com -- The imaginings of
    > someone who has never set foot inside Mattel are far more
    > entertaining than an eye-witness account from someone who
    > has been there and observed how such decisions are made.

    Millions? Hardly, tens of thousands on research for the website. I
    am sure they have. They are no different than any other fortune 500
    corporation.

    Travis Newbury, Jul 4, 2008
  8. On Jul 3, 6:52 pm, Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:
    > >That's not what your resume says....

    > I don't, as a rule, put things in me resume where I was a
    > witness to someone else either accomplishing something or
    > crashing and burning.

    So you weren't involved, you knew a friend of a friend that was
    involved...

    > I probably should remove that.  It's true, but it has the
    > potential problem of someone thinking that I did the part
    > that was done by others.

    Or that you did very little. That's how I read it (please don't take
    that as a barb, it was not intended that way)

    > No it doesn't.  A website that changes regularly could be the
    > result of your alleged marketin geniuses refining it again
    > and again, or it could be the result of the website project
    > being assigned to a new idiot every few months.

    The former is my point.

    Travis Newbury, Jul 4, 2008
  9. On Jul 4, 5:34 am, Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:
    > >Tens of thousands on research for the [barbie.com] website.  I
    > >am sure they have.

    > Keep digging that hole, but remember, you are guessing, while
    > I know because I have personal experience.
    > >They are no different than any other fortune 500 corporation.

    > Unlike you, I cannot comment on other fortune 500 corporations
    > where I do not have personal experience as to how much they spend
    > on website research.

    You do know Mattel is on the list of fortune 500 companies right? I
    think I need to pass you the shovel...

    Travis Newbury, Jul 4, 2008
  10. On Jul 4, 5:38 am, Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:
    > Have you ever considered asking people what their personal
    > experiences were rather than telling them?

    Sorry I made the assumption your online resume you advertise in your
    signature (which I notice is now gone) would be accurate.

    Travis Newbury, Jul 4, 2008
  11. On Jul 3, 6:21 pm, Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:

    > Travis Newbury wrote:
    >
    > >Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:

    > >> Are you by any chance aware that I worked at Mattel and was
    > >> part of the meetings where it was decided what Barbie.com.
    > >> Mattel.com, etc. should look like?

    > >So you are to blame?

    > I am holding off on describing exactly how Mattel makes
    > such decisions until you dig yourself into a deeper hole.
    > Dilbert sugercoats corporate decision-making.  The reality
    > is far, far stupider.
    >
    > --
    > Guy Macon
    > <http://www.GuyMacon.com/>

    Why did you set this to expire?

    Travis Newbury, Jul 4, 2008
  12. On Jul 3, 6:54 pm, Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:

    > Travis Newbury wrote:
    >
    > >Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:

    > >> I am holding off on describing exactly how Mattel makes
    > >> such decisions until you dig yourself into a deeper hole.
    > >> Dilbert sugercoats corporate decision-making.  The reality
    > >> is far, far stupider.

    > > Why don't you indulge us on your 7 year old knowledge

    > You imagine that the decision-making methods have changed?
    >
    > Or that I haven't done any consulting there recently?
    >
    > Or that I don't spend time with any current employees
    > who tell me how things are going?
    >
    > Please, go on telling us about the millions spent on
    > research that went into barbie.com -- The imaginings of
    > someone who has never set foot inside Mattel are far more
    > entertaining than an eye-witness account from someone who
    > has been there and observed how such decisions are made.
    >
    > --
    > Guy Macon
    > <http://www.GuyMacon.com/>

    Guy, why are you setting these to expire, and where did your signature
    go?

    Travis Newbury, Jul 4, 2008
  13. On Jul 4, 3:06 pm, Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:
    > Because it paints you in a bad light, and I thought that the polite
    > thing to do was to not leave a permanent record of my exposing your
    > errors.

    I love my errors being exposed. It teaches new and old to be open
    minded and explore the possibilities that are out there.

    Travis Newbury, Jul 4, 2008