Re: Browser survey

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Travis Newbury, Jul 3, 2008.

  1. On Jul 3, 3:59 am, Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:
    > I would also reject your assumption that there is a trade-off between
    > accessibility and profitability unless you presented evidence that
    > that particular claim is true.  


    I DON'T say there IS a trade off. I say Accessibility does not equate
    automatically to more users or larger profits. It completely depends
    on the site and the content offered. What I DO say is that there is
    no one-size-fits-all solution for the web.

    So saying "fluid is better than fixed width" is meaningless unless you
    put a website name in there. Each website is unique and should be
    looked at that way.

    > We know that, all other things being
    > equal, turning away some customers reduces profit.  


    See you can not make that statement because it is not always true.
    What if I make a change to a site that causes it to lose 5% of the
    visitors, but the same changes to the site cause revenue to increase
    by 1%. Making the change and losing those customers was a good
    thing.

    > The burden would
    > be upon you to prove that those aspects of a web design that turn
    > away some potential customers result in more profit from those who
    > remain, and then to prove that there exists no design that has the
    > higher profit without turning away the customers.


    Proof? Look at the balance sheet. Your revenue either increase,
    decrease or remain the same. The proof that something worked is
    pretty simple to find.
    Travis Newbury, Jul 3, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On Jul 3, 5:58 pm, Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=Correlation Causation Fallacy


    The revenue I am speaking of is the direct revenue from the website.
    Sorry, but that does not fall into the same category as your web
    search. .

    Guy, face it. You are not going to change my view on what is good and
    bad for the web. I have been doing this way too long for way too many
    corporations. And we (surprise) have different opinions. The
    difference being you are unwilling to accept they can both live in
    harmony.
    Travis Newbury, Jul 3, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Travis Newbury

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Travis Newbury <> wrote:

    > On Jul 3, 5:58 pm, Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:
    > > http://www.google.com/search?q=Correlation Causation Fallacy

    >
    > The revenue I am speaking of is the direct revenue from the website.
    > Sorry, but that does not fall into the same category as your web
    > search. .
    >
    > Guy, face it. You are not going to change my view on what is good and
    > bad for the web. I have been doing this way too long for way too many
    > corporations. And we (surprise) have different opinions. The
    > difference being you are unwilling to accept they can both live in
    > harmony.


    Can you remember the last time you ever changed any of your very firmly
    held opinions?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 4, 2008
    #3
  4. On Jul 3, 8:07 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > Can you remember the last time you ever changed any of your very firmly
    > held opinions?


    Yep, when I switched to the listapart method of implementing Flash and
    made the pages I work on validate. (which I use as a tool not a goal)

    You?
    Travis Newbury, Jul 4, 2008
    #4
  5. On 2008-07-04, Travis Newbury wrote:
    > On Jul 3, 8:07 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    >> Can you remember the last time you ever changed any of your very firmly
    >> held opinions?

    >
    > Yep, when I switched to the listapart method of implementing Flash and
    > made the pages I work on validate. (which I use as a tool not a goal)


    Of course it's not a goal; it's a baseline.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, webmaster <http://Woodbine-Gerrard.com>
    ===================================================================
    Author:
    Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach (2005, Apress)
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Jul 4, 2008
    #5
  6. Travis Newbury

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Travis Newbury <> wrote:

    > On Jul 3, 8:07 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > Can you remember the last time you ever changed any of your very firmly
    > > held opinions?

    >
    > Yep, when I switched to the listapart method of implementing Flash and
    > made the pages I work on validate. (which I use as a tool not a goal)
    >
    > You?


    I have no idea (as usual) what quite you mean.

    The biggest of mine, since you ask, in recent years, was changing my
    acceptance of Israel as being mainly good and true and the surrounding
    Arabs as being greatly at fault and bad in the troubles in the Middle
    East. A careful reading of a lot of history cured that. I was greatly
    shocked and surprised that I could have been so wrong and it made me
    think that maybe there were other things I was wrong about. Very
    unsettling at the time.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 4, 2008
    #6
  7. On Jul 3, 9:04 pm, "Chris F.A. Johnson" <> wrote:
    > > Yep, when I switched to the listapart method of implementing Flash and
    > > made the pages I work on validate.  (which I use as a tool not a goal)

    >     Of course it's not a goal; it's a baseline.


    To some in this groups it is a goal. I was pointing out I am not one
    of them.
    Travis Newbury, Jul 4, 2008
    #7
  8. On Jul 3, 9:21 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > I have no idea (as usual) what quite you mean.
    > The biggest of mine, since you ask, in recent years, was changing my
    > acceptance of Israel as being mainly good and true and the surrounding
    > Arabs as being greatly at fault and bad in the troubles in the Middle
    > East.


    I believe both are idiots. Most (dare I say all) governments are.

    But if you are not talking about the web, then the biggest was several
    years ago I was arguing with someone who was gay about if being gay
    was a decision or biological. I always thought a decision.

    His argument persuaded me that being gay was absolutely biological.
    Travis Newbury, Jul 4, 2008
    #8
  9. Travis Newbury

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Travis Newbury <> wrote:

    > On Jul 3, 9:21 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > I have no idea (as usual) what quite you mean.
    > > The biggest of mine, since you ask, in recent years, was changing my
    > > acceptance of Israel as being mainly good and true and the surrounding
    > > Arabs as being greatly at fault and bad in the troubles in the Middle
    > > East.

    >
    > I believe both are idiots. Most (dare I say all) governments are.
    >


    A bit of something for everyone eh? You are the ultimate poster boy for
    postmodernism.

    > But if you are not talking about the web, then the biggest was several
    > years ago I was arguing with someone who was gay about if being gay
    > was a decision or biological. I always thought a decision.
    >
    > His argument persuaded me that being gay was absolutely biological.


    Well, there is another possibility, probably something that is likely
    true for many people and that is that there is some biology involved and
    some non-biology but that decisions don't directly come into it.

    Decisions? Decisions indeed! This sounds like corporate-republican
    speak. I would not be the least surprised if you believed that poverty
    was a decision of the poor. No, please! Don't tell me you believe this
    too or did or will? <g>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 4, 2008
    #9
  10. On Jul 4, 9:06 am, dorayme <> wrote:
    > Decisions? Decisions indeed! This sounds like corporate-republican
    > speak. I would not be the least surprised if you believed that poverty
    > was a decision of the poor. No, please! Don't tell me you believe this
    > too or did or will?


    Decision? No, but do they have the ability to work themselves out of
    poverty? Absolutely (in the US, I can not speak for other countries)
    Travis Newbury, Jul 4, 2008
    #10
  11. Travis Newbury

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Travis Newbury <> wrote:

    > On Jul 4, 9:06 am, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > Decisions? Decisions indeed! This sounds like corporate-republican
    > > speak. I would not be the least surprised if you believed that poverty
    > > was a decision of the poor. No, please! Don't tell me you believe this
    > > too or did or will?

    >
    > Decision? No, but do they have the ability to work themselves out of
    > poverty? Absolutely (in the US, I can not speak for other countries)


    Absolutely eh? In other words, they can all or most of them make
    decisions to get themselves out of poverty. What kind of decisions are
    these? Are they like a decision to take on some particular client for a
    website and earn heaps, or instead take on another and earn less but it
    be more worthwhile and pleasurable? The choice is there, all laid out? I
    don't think so, old boy.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 5, 2008
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Travis Newbury

    Re: Browser survey

    Travis Newbury, Jun 28, 2008, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    698
    Travis Newbury
    Jun 30, 2008
  2. Chris F.A. Johnson

    Re: Browser survey

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Jun 28, 2008, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    392
    Chris F.A. Johnson
    Jun 28, 2008
  3. +mrcakey

    Re: Browser survey

    +mrcakey, Jun 30, 2008, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    395
    +mrcakey
    Jun 30, 2008
  4. Travis Newbury

    Re: Browser survey

    Travis Newbury, Jul 2, 2008, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    348
    Travis Newbury
    Jul 3, 2008
  5. Travis Newbury

    Re: Browser survey

    Travis Newbury, Jul 3, 2008, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    636
    Travis Newbury
    Jul 4, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page