Re: Building Python - how to set include and lib paths?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Lack Mr G M, Jul 4, 2003.

  1. Lack Mr G M

    Lack Mr G M Guest

    In article <>, Curly Joe <> writes:
    |> Lack Mr G M wrote (snipped):
    |> I'm trying to build (compile and link) Python2.2.3,
    |> However, I need to indicate where it can find various
    |> library and header files for other extensions which I
    |> have already built (things like ssl etc.).
    |>
    |> There are two simple ways that I know of:
    |> 1 - add it to, and export the PYTHONPATH variable -
    |> mine is in ~/.bash_profile on a Gentoo Linux box.
    |> Your shell and/or profile file name may be different.
    |> 2 - probably not what you want, but
    |> .../python/site_python should be in your PYTHONPATH
    |> and so you could place you programs there.

    No - that's not the problem. I know I can set that up for pyhton
    modules at run time. My problem occurs when I am *building* python
    itself. There seem to be no way that I can tell it where to look for
    header files and libraries for other packages/utilities (eg: SSL) that I
    have previously installed or how to add these to compilation and linking
    options.. It hard-wires /usr/local/{include,lib} for these.

    --
    --------- Gordon Lack --------------- ------------
    This message *may* reflect my personal opinion. It is *not* intended

    Lack Mr G M, Jul 4, 2003

  2. Lack Mr G M

    Theodor Rash Guest

    Lack Mr G M wrote:

    > ... My problem occurs when I am *building* python
    > itself. There seem to be no way that I can tell it where to look for
    > header files and libraries for other packages/utilities (eg: SSL) that I
    > have previously installed or how to add these to compilation and linking
    > options.. It hard-wires /usr/local/{include,lib} for these.

    That's right. I had to patch setup.py to make it find Tcl/Tk which resides
    under /opt in my system.
    Theo

    Theodor Rash, Jul 8, 2003