Re: C# format Specifiers Help.

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Martin Ambuhl, Aug 21, 2003.

  1. Kevin wrote:

    > I am looking for a way in C# to format my output.


    Bummer. You come to the wrong place. But what should one expect from a
    Microsoft ditto-head.


    --
    Martin Ambuhl
     
    Martin Ambuhl, Aug 21, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Martin Ambuhl wrote:
    >
    > Kevin wrote:
    >
    > > I am looking for a way in C# to format my output.

    >
    > Bummer. You come to the wrong place. But what should one expect
    > from a Microsoft ditto-head.


    Nah, nah... Keep it friendly! He's just miss-informed, not a ditto-head.


    --
    Niko <realnc--(AT)--lycos--(DOT)--de>
    http://members.lycos.co.uk/realnc
     
    Nikos Chantziaras, Aug 21, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Martin Ambuhl

    Kevin Guest

    Thanks for your reply, I too found that news group but no answer to
    the question, but I did get an answer from www.csharphelp.com thanks
    though.

    Sven Semmler <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Kevin wrote:
    >
    > > Thank you all for your replies, I was only hoping that the intellectuals
    > > amongst this newsgroup knew the answer. Unfortunately google does not
    > > have a newsgroup comp.lang.c# or at least I did not find one, otherwise
    > > I would have surely posed my question there.

    >
    > It took me 3 sec. on groups.google.com ...
    >
    > news:microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp
    >
    > /Sven
     
    Kevin, Aug 21, 2003
    #3
  4. Randy Howard wrote:
    >
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > Thank you all for your replies, I was only hoping that the
    > > intellectuals amongst this newsgroup knew the answer.

    >
    > Most people that are interested in writing portable C code
    > (those that frequent clc) realize that C# is inherently not
    > portable. In fact, it appears to be designed to be just so.
    > Having a portable platform like Java made MS sick to their
    > stomach. Voila, here comes C#. Good luck.


    The last thing I want is to start YALFW*, but I need to ask this: Why do
    you consider Java as being portable? It has been originally designed *only
    for the JavaVM*, which is a proprietary platform. It's like saying that C#
    is portable because you can run its programs in any platform using an
    emulator or a JIT compiler.

    *Yet Another Language Flame War


    --
    Niko <realnc--(AT)--lycos--(DOT)--de>
    http://members.lycos.co.uk/realnc
     
    Nikos Chantziaras, Aug 22, 2003
    #4
  5. Martin Ambuhl

    Randy Howard Guest

    In article <bi3kiv$505e8$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > Randy Howard wrote:
    > >
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > > > Thank you all for your replies, I was only hoping that the
    > > > intellectuals amongst this newsgroup knew the answer.

    > >
    > > Most people that are interested in writing portable C code
    > > (those that frequent clc) realize that C# is inherently not
    > > portable. In fact, it appears to be designed to be just so.
    > > Having a portable platform like Java made MS sick to their
    > > stomach. Voila, here comes C#. Good luck.

    >
    > The last thing I want is to start YALFW*, but I need to ask this: Why do
    > you consider Java as being portable? It has been originally designed *only
    > for the JavaVM*, which is a proprietary platform. It's like saying that C#
    > is portable because you can run its programs in any platform using an
    > emulator or a JIT compiler.


    Not a flame war, but I'll answer. Java is available on a wide variety of
    OS platforms, embedded in SmartCards and other devices, even NetWare has
    it now.

    OTOH, C# is available only on Windows, and if Microsoft has their way, it
    will ever continue to be just so. The mono project appears to be
    stillborn so far, or at least stalled out badly. Probably because there
    simply isn't enough interest to make it go forward. Plus, anytime they
    get substantially close, Microsoft will induce a new "paradigm shift" or
    some other hopelessly overloaded term for "We just jacked with the
    standard to break everyone trying to be cross-platform compatible with our
    solution."

    Nevermind that at some point in the near-future they're likely to start
    charging rent on the executable. Imagine a .001 cent charge for every
    iteration through a loop charged to the Passport ID associated with the
    GUID of the developer. Hey, if their recent licensing shenanigans
    are any indication, this isn't just possible, it's probable. It might
    even be enforced through SCO. :)

    None of the above really belongs in c.l.c, so I've set followups to
    comp.programming.
     
    Randy Howard, Aug 22, 2003
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Pep
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    636
  2. Ben Pfaff

    Re: C# format Specifiers Help.

    Ben Pfaff, Aug 21, 2003, in forum: C Programming
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    405
    Ben Pfaff
    Aug 21, 2003
  3. Jeff

    Re: C# format Specifiers Help.

    Jeff, Aug 21, 2003, in forum: C Programming
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    458
  4. Peter Ammon

    Writing arguments under format specifiers

    Peter Ammon, Jul 4, 2004, in forum: C Programming
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    307
    Mike Wahler
    Jul 6, 2004
  5. John Mott
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    312
    John Mott
    Aug 7, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page