Re: "C Programming Language" (3rd Edition) - when?

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by pete, Aug 27, 2003.

  1. pete

    pete Guest

    Larry__Weiss wrote:
    >
    > Is a K&R "C Programming Language (3rd Edition)" ever going to exist?


    No.

    --
    pete
     
    pete, Aug 27, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. pete

    Neil Cerutti Guest

    In article <>, Alan Balmer wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:13:41 GMT, pete <> wrote:
    >
    >>Larry__Weiss wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Is a K&R "C Programming Language (3rd Edition)" ever going to exist?

    >>
    >>No.

    >
    > That sounds very definite, but may I ask how you know?


    Read Dennis Ritchie's web site at Bell for the straight dope.

    --
    Neil Cerutti
     
    Neil Cerutti, Aug 27, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. pete

    Alan Balmer Guest

    On 27 Aug 2003 17:24:19 GMT, Neil Cerutti <> wrote:

    >In article <>, Alan Balmer wrote:
    >> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:13:41 GMT, pete <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Larry__Weiss wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> Is a K&R "C Programming Language (3rd Edition)" ever going to exist?
    >>>
    >>>No.

    >>
    >> That sounds very definite, but may I ask how you know?

    >
    >Read Dennis Ritchie's web site at Bell for the straight dope.


    Thanks for reminding me that I hadn't visited there for a while :) I
    haven't yet spotted anything about the 3rd edition, but there are a
    couple of new items I hadn't seen.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Balmer Consulting
     
    Alan Balmer, Aug 27, 2003
    #3
  4. pete

    Larry__Weiss Guest

    Alan Balmer wrote:
    > On 27 Aug 2003 17:24:19 GMT, Neil Cerutti <> wrote:
    > >In article <>, Alan Balmer wrote:
    > >> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:13:41 GMT, pete <> wrote:
    > >>>Larry__Weiss wrote:
    > >>>> Is a K&R "C Programming Language (3rd Edition)" ever going to exist?
    > >>>
    > >>>No.
    > >>
    > >> That sounds very definite, but may I ask how you know?

    > >
    > >Read Dennis Ritchie's web site at Bell for the straight dope.

    >
    > Thanks for reminding me that I hadn't visited there for a while :) I
    > haven't yet spotted anything about the 3rd edition, but there are a
    > couple of new items I hadn't seen.
    >


    Re: http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/

    I didn't find it either. What did it use to say?

    - Larry Weiss
     
    Larry__Weiss, Aug 27, 2003
    #4
  5. pete

    Larry__Weiss Guest

    The last major C language standard publication was followed (in fact, anticipated)
    by a lot of new books, including K&R's "C Programming Language (2nd Edition)"

    The text of that standards document was published in a very affordable book,
    Schildt's "Annotated ANSI C standard".

    I don't see anything like that to help educate software developers so that
    market demand is boosted for implementations of C99.

    At least O'Reilly's "C Pocket Reference" is C99 aware. Maybe there
    will be another edition of their "Practical C Programming" for C99.

    I have long thought that O'Reilly didn't give C the attention it deserved
    because it conceded the role of a flag-ship tutorial to K&R. If, in fact,
    there is no hope of a revised K&R, then maybe O'Reilly should reconsider.

    - Larry Weiss
     
    Larry__Weiss, Aug 27, 2003
    #5
  6. pete

    Alan Balmer Guest

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 15:49:21 -0500, Larry__Weiss <>
    wrote:

    >
    >The last major C language standard publication was followed (in fact, anticipated)
    >by a lot of new books, including K&R's "C Programming Language (2nd Edition)"
    >
    >The text of that standards document was published in a very affordable book,
    >Schildt's "Annotated ANSI C standard".


    The standard text was good, the annotations were notoriously bad <g>.
    >
    >I don't see anything like that to help educate software developers so that
    >market demand is boosted for implementations of C99.
    >
    >At least O'Reilly's "C Pocket Reference" is C99 aware. Maybe there
    >will be another edition of their "Practical C Programming" for C99.
    >
    >I have long thought that O'Reilly didn't give C the attention it deserved
    >because it conceded the role of a flag-ship tutorial to K&R. If, in fact,
    >there is no hope of a revised K&R, then maybe O'Reilly should reconsider.
    >
    > - Larry Weiss


    The only book I've found useful for C99 is Harbison and Steele - "C, A
    Reference Manual."

    --
    Al Balmer
    Balmer Consulting
     
    Alan Balmer, Aug 27, 2003
    #6
  7. pete

    Guest

    Larry__Weiss <> wrote:
    >
    > The text of that standards document was published in a very affordable book,
    > Schildt's "Annotated ANSI C standard".
    >
    > I don't see anything like that to help educate software developers so that
    > market demand is boosted for implementations of C99.


    You mean like "The C Standard" ISBN 0-470-84573-2, soon to be published
    by John Wiley & Sons ($65)? Of course, the actual standard is much more
    affordable, at least in electronic form ($18), as is mentioned here
    frequently.

    -Larry Jones

    I sure like summer vacation. -- Calvin
     
    , Aug 28, 2003
    #7
  8. pete

    j Guest

    wrote in message news:<>...
    > Larry__Weiss <> wrote:
    > >
    > > The text of that standards document was published in a very affordable book,
    > > Schildt's "Annotated ANSI C standard".
    > >
    > > I don't see anything like that to help educate software developers so that
    > > market demand is boosted for implementations of C99.

    >
    > You mean like "The C Standard" ISBN 0-470-84573-2, soon to be published
    > by John Wiley & Sons ($65)? Of course, the actual standard is much more
    > affordable, at least in electronic form ($18), as is mentioned here
    > frequently.
    >
    > -Larry Jones


    I don't see much point in these books on the C standard(The C standard
    itself can be hard to read sometimes and someone might interpret what
    is said in it incorrectly -- I have done that several times, and iirc
    this happened in a book written by schildt?). All you need is to buy a
    copy of the standard and an ISP so you can access comp.lang.c, I have
    faith in the (experts/language lawyers) here :)

    >
    > I sure like summer vacation. -- Calvin
     
    j, Aug 29, 2003
    #8
  9. pete

    Larry__Weiss Guest

    j wrote:
    > wrote in message news:<>...
    > > You mean like "The C Standard" ISBN 0-470-84573-2, soon to be published
    > > by John Wiley & Sons ($65)?

    >
    > I don't see much point in these books on the C standard(The C standard
    > itself can be hard to read sometimes and someone might interpret what
    > is said in it incorrectly --
    >


    I sure hope that this "is" the C Standard, and not a book about the C Standard.

    I also hope they print millions of copies, and that I can buy extras darned cheap
    at the remaindered bookstores like I did with the Schildt book. <grin>
    BTW, I wish I had bought several dozen copies of the Schildt book at the $3
    price I saw once at a Microcenter store. The least expensive price of that book
    as a used-book on Amazon right now is over $20.
     
    Larry__Weiss, Aug 29, 2003
    #9
  10. pete

    Guest

    Larry__Weiss <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> > You mean like "The C Standard" ISBN 0-470-84573-2, soon to be published
    >> > by John Wiley & Sons ($65)?

    >
    > I sure hope that this "is" the C Standard, and not a book about the C Standard.


    It is the C Standard with the corrections from TC1 incorporated into it.

    -Larry Jones

    Oh, now don't YOU start on me. -- Calvin
     
    , Aug 29, 2003
    #10
  11. On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 wrote:

    > You mean like "The C Standard" ISBN 0-470-84573-2, soon to be published
    > by John Wiley & Sons ($65)?


    This book has been selling in Border bookstores (UK) for at
    least two weeks now. Definitely not ``soon to be published''.

    Tak-Shing

    P.S. There is a strange comment in this book saying that this
    book will outlive your computer, or something like that...
     
    Tak-Shing Chan, Aug 29, 2003
    #11
  12. Tak-Shing Chan <> writes:

    > On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 wrote:
    >
    > > You mean like "The C Standard" ISBN 0-470-84573-2, soon to be published
    > > by John Wiley & Sons ($65)?

    >
    > This book has been selling in Border bookstores (UK) for at
    > least two weeks now. Definitely not ``soon to be published''.
    >
    > Tak-Shing
    >
    > P.S. There is a strange comment in this book saying that this
    > book will outlive your computer, or something like that...


    So it will last about 18 months then....

    I agree, a peculiar comment!

    --

    John Devereux
     
    John Devereux, Aug 29, 2003
    #12
  13. On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 22:43:57 -0500, in comp.lang.c , Larry__Weiss
    <> wrote:

    >BTW, I wish I had bought several dozen copies of the Schildt book at the $3
    >price I saw once at a Microcenter store. The least expensive price of that book
    >as a used-book on Amazon right now is over $20.


    gosh, they only pay you twenty to take it off their hands?

    :)

    --
    Mark McIntyre
    CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html>
    CLC readme: <http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/bchambless0/welcome_to_clc.html>


    ----== Posted via Newsfeed.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
    ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
     
    Mark McIntyre, Aug 30, 2003
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.

Share This Page