Re: C99 compiler

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Richard Heathfield, Aug 25, 2003.

  1. Anders Johansson wrote:

    > Hi all experts,
    > I'd like to know if there exist a free C compiler which completely
    > fulfills the C99 standard. I would really appreciate if someone could
    > point me to one.

    Possibly.

    gcc is reasonably close to C99 conformance, and is free.

    Comeau offer a conforming C99 compiler (no library), but it's not free.
    Dinkumware offer a conforming C99 library (no compiler), but it's not free.
    The two work together, fortunately.

    I have heard rumours that Intel offer a conforming C99 compiler (not free),
    and that there is at least one non-gcc free compiler that claims to
    conform, but I have no idea how true these rumours are.

    --
    Richard Heathfield :
    Richard Heathfield, Aug 25, 2003

  2. jacob navia wrote:

    > lcc-win32 is approaching [C99] conformance, and many things work already.

    Jacob,

    Would you say it's closer than GCC?

    http://gcc.gnu.org/c99status.html

    Regards,

    Russell Hanneken
    Russell Hanneken, Aug 25, 2003

  3. jacob navia wrote:

    > "Richard Heathfield" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have heard rumours that Intel offer a conforming C99 compiler (not
    >> free), and that there is at least one non-gcc free compiler that claims
    >> to conform, but I have no idea how true these rumours are.

    > lcc-win32 is approaching conformance, and many things work already. Maybe
    > it was that compiler the "non-gcc free compiler" you were talking about
    > Richard?

    Yes, I think so.

    --
    Richard Heathfield :
    Richard Heathfield, Aug 25, 2003
  4. Richard Heathfield

    moses Guest

    "Greg Comeau" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > In article <bidhgs$7lu$>,
    > Richard Heathfield <> wrote:
    > >Anders Johansson wrote:
    > >> I'd like to know if there exist a free C compiler which completely
    > >> fulfills the C99 standard. I would really appreciate if someone could
    > >> point me to one.

    > >Possibly.
    > >
    > >gcc is reasonably close to C99 conformance, and is free.
    > >
    > >Comeau offer a conforming C99 compiler (no library), but it's not free.
    > >Dinkumware offer a conforming C99 library (no compiler), but it's not

    free.
    > >The two work together, fortunately.
    > >
    > >I have heard rumours that Intel offer a conforming C99 compiler (not

    free),
    > >and that there is at least one non-gcc free compiler that claims to
    > >conform, but I have no idea how true these rumours are.

    > To the best of my understanding, at least the following
    > is the situation as regards C99 implementations:
    >
    > * Full: Comeau C/C++ (compiler) + Dinkumware (lib)
    > For: many platforms
    > * Full: IBM C for AIX version 6
    > For: AIX
    > * Intel C (at least compiler)
    > For: x86
    > * Full: Compaq/HP/Dec C (this has had various flavors)
    > For: Unsure
    > * Full: SGI C
    > For: SGI platforms (MIPS IRIX I guess)
    > * Full: Lund Multiprocessor Compiler Company
    > For: PowerPC LINUX on Apple G4
    > * Unsure: SAS/C
    > For: IBM mainframes
    > * Partial: gcc
    > For: Many platforms
    > * Partial: lcc-win32
    > For: MS-Windows
    >
    > Only the latter two have "free" possibilities.
    >
    > As an aside, there is now a small number of book where C99 is
    > discussed. Search for C99 at http://www.comeaucomputing.com/booklist
    > --
    > Greg Comeau/4.3.3:Full C++03 core language + more Windows backends
    > Comeau C/C++ ONLINE ==> http://www.comeaucomputing.com/tryitout
    > World Class Compilers: Breathtaking C++, Amazing C99, Fabulous C90.
    > Comeau C/C++ with Dinkumware's Libraries... Have you tried it?

    Intels compiler for Linux seems to be the logical choice at present.
    Hopefully gcc and/or lcc-win32 will have full implementation of C99 in the
    near future. Greg, a bold suggestion, how about a Comeau/Dinkumware
    non-commercial version for Linux? It would be more than welcome-)

    Thank you all for great inputs in the topic,
    anders johansson
    moses, Aug 27, 2003
  5. Richard Heathfield

    Greg Comeau Guest

    In article <SmS2b.21389$>,
    moses <> wrote:

    >"Greg Comeau" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >> In article <bidhgs$7lu$>,
    >> Richard Heathfield <> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >Possibly.
    >> >
    >> >gcc is reasonably close to C99 conformance, and is free.
    >> >
    >> >Comeau offer a conforming C99 compiler (no library), but it's not free.
    >> >Dinkumware offer a conforming C99 library (no compiler), but it's not
    >> >free. The two work together, fortunately.
    >> >
    >> >I have heard rumours that Intel offer a conforming C99 compiler (not
    >> >free), and that there is at least one non-gcc free compiler that
    >> >claims to conform, but I have no idea how true these rumours are.

    >> To the best of my understanding, at least the following
    >> is the situation as regards C99 implementations:
    >>
    >> * Full: Comeau C/C++ (compiler) + Dinkumware (lib)
    >> For: many platforms
    >> * Full: IBM C for AIX version 6
    >> For: AIX
    >> * Intel C (at least compiler)
    >> For: x86
    >> * Full: Compaq/HP/Dec C (this has had various flavors)
    >> For: Unsure
    >> * Full: SGI C
    >> For: SGI platforms (MIPS IRIX I guess)
    >> * Full: Lund Multiprocessor Compiler Company
    >> For: PowerPC LINUX on Apple G4
    >> * Unsure: SAS/C
    >> For: IBM mainframes
    >> * Partial: gcc
    >> For: Many platforms
    >> * Partial: lcc-win32
    >> For: MS-Windows
    >>
    >> Only the latter two have "free" possibilities.

    I should have also mentioned Metrowerks, which has partial
    C99 support right now, and as I understand it, at least for
    the Mac, will have pretty full support in their release
    next week.

    >> As an aside, there is now a small number of book where C99 is
    >> discussed. Search for C99 at http://www.comeaucomputing.com/booklist

    >Intels compiler for Linux seems to be the logical choice at present.

    Maybe.

    >Hopefully gcc and/or lcc-win32 will have full implementation of C99 in the
    >near future.

    Hopefully all implementations do.

    > Greg, a bold suggestion, how about a Comeau/Dinkumware
    >non-commercial version for Linux? It would be more than welcome-)

    Comeau C/C++ is already offered at a low cost -- ridiculously
    low cost, including free 24/7 tech support, free upgrades
    since 1997 (no typo), and full core language support
    (including strong gcc/g++ compatibility modes under LINUX).
    And also the online compiler is available for free at
    http://www.comeaucomputing.com/tryitout
    I don't see any incentive to offer a full free version
    though I guess it would be interesting to hear the case
    for it.
    --
    Greg Comeau/4.3.3:Full C++03 core language + more Windows backends
    Greg Comeau, Aug 27, 2003
  6. Richard Heathfield

    Kevin Easton Guest

    Greg Comeau <> wrote:
    > In article <SmS2b.21389$>,
    > moses <> wrote:

    [...]
    >> Greg, a bold suggestion, how about a Comeau/Dinkumware
    >>non-commercial version for Linux? It would be more than welcome-)

    > Comeau C/C++ is already offered at a low cost -- ridiculously
    > low cost, including free 24/7 tech support, free upgrades
    > since 1997 (no typo), and full core language support
    > (including strong gcc/g++ compatibility modes under LINUX).
    > And also the online compiler is available for free at
    > http://www.comeaucomputing.com/tryitout
    > I don't see any incentive to offer a full free version
    > though I guess it would be interesting to hear the case
    > for it.

    I guess the idea would be that:

    1) People programming C non-commercially are unlikely to fork out for a
    compiler, no matter how ridiculously low cost it is.

    2) If it were available freely to people for their non-commercial uses,
    they would get familiar with it and would be more likely to use in in a
    commercial environment.

    So if the revenue gained from more commercial users is greater than the
    revenue lost from paying non-commercial users, you'd come out in front.

    It probably works better for a company with a well-known brand like
    Intel than it does for one that the boss hasn't heard of.

    - Kevin.
    Kevin Easton, Aug 27, 2003
  7. Paul Hsieh a écrit :

    > (Greg Comeau) wrote in message
    >> * Intel C (at least compiler)
    >> For: x86

    > Eh? Since when has Intel's compiler been C99 conformant?

    According to its documentation, the current Intel's compiler for linux is
    mostly conformant:

    "The following C99 features are supported in this version of the Intel C++
    Compiler when using the -c99[-] option:
    Restricted pointers (restrict keyword, available with -restrict). See Note
    below.
    Variable-length Arrays
    Flexible array members
    Complex number support (_Complex keyword)
    Hexadecimal floating-point constants
    Compound literals
    Designated initializers
    Mixed declarations and code
    Macros with a variable number of arguments
    Inline functions (inline keyword)
    Boolean type (_Bool keyword)"

    [...]

    "These features are not supported:

    #pragma STDC FP_CONTRACT
    #pragma STDC FENV_ACCESS
    #pragma STDC CX_LIMITED_RANGE
    long double (128-bit representations)"

    --
    Richard
    Richard Delorme, Aug 27, 2003
  8. Richard Heathfield

    Greg Comeau Guest

    In article <>,
    Paul Hsieh <> wrote:
    > (Greg Comeau) wrote in message
    >> * Intel C (at least compiler)
    >> For: x86

    >Eh? Since when has Intel's compiler been C99 conformant? They don't
    >mention it on their web site and since they require on MSVC++ for CRT
    >support (I don't know what they do under Linux, but it wouldn't
    >surprise me if they didn't just use the gcc libraries), and MSVC
    >definately does *NOT* support C99, it does not seem likely at all that
    >Intel C++ actually supports C99.
    >
    >I have version 4.0 (admittedly kind of old), and it definately doesn't
    >have __STDC_VERSION defined, but perhaps the latest versions do?

    To the best of my knowledge, the compiler proper can support
    full C99. I do not believe it provides C99 RTL.
    --
    Greg Comeau/4.3.3:Full C++03 core language + more Windows backends
    Greg Comeau, Aug 27, 2003
  9. Richard Heathfield

    Lew Pitcher Guest

    Greg Comeau wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Paul Hsieh <> wrote:
    >
    >> (Greg Comeau) wrote in message
    >>
    >>>* Intel C (at least compiler)
    >>> For: x86

    >>Eh? Since when has Intel's compiler been C99 conformant? They don't
    >>mention it on their web site and since they require on MSVC++ for CRT
    >>support (I don't know what they do under Linux, but it wouldn't
    >>surprise me if they didn't just use the gcc libraries), and MSVC
    >>definately does *NOT* support C99, it does not seem likely at all that
    >>Intel C++ actually supports C99.
    >>
    >>I have version 4.0 (admittedly kind of old), and it definately doesn't
    >>have __STDC_VERSION defined, but perhaps the latest versions do?

    > To the best of my knowledge, the compiler proper can support
    > full C99. I do not believe it provides C99 RTL.

    Intel's website
    (http://intel.com/software/products/compilers/cwin/cwindows.htm#standards)
    advises that their C++ compiler for Windows (version 7.1) supports the "ANSI
    C/C++ standard" and the "ISO C/C++ standard", what ever they are. (One
    combined standard for /both/ C and C++? No date?)

    Their website
    (http://intel.com/software/products/compilers/clin/clinux.htm#standards) for
    their C++ compiler for Linux (version 7.1) supports "GNU inline ASM for IA
    32 architecture", "IA32 support for C++ ABI object model", "ANSI C/C++
    standard" and "ISO C/C++ standard". (Again, one combined standard for /both/
    C and C++? No date?) I also note that the Linux version requires "system
    with glibc 2.2.4 or 2.2.5 and the 2.4.X Linux kernel".

    Going by the advertising, I can't tell if Intel's C compiler is C99 compliant.

    Lew Pitcher, Aug 27, 2003