Re: Calculating days using Business Days for the Calendar

Discussion in 'Python' started by Terry Reedy, Sep 20, 2004.

  1. Terry Reedy

    Terry Reedy Guest

    "David Stockwell" <> wrote in message
    >I''m wondering if the Calendar object has an option to only do
    >calculations based on business days (ie M-F).

    Hmmm. Identification of 'business days' with {M-F} is rather
    Western/Christian subculturally specific. Any official part of the Python
    library should allow input of the day range desired.

    I recognized that the Roman-based calendar also has competitors, but it has
    been internationalized so that it is everywhere either officially used or
    officially convertable to alternatives and is globally used by many
    international groupings, including the Internet.

    > Additionally does it have a way to get holidays into itself?

    And how would you propose to define 'holiday'? The US Federal government,
    the Delaware State government, and (I believe) the University of Delaware
    have three slightly different lists, as do other organizations that operate
    in this small area of the globe. So this would also have to be user-input.
    One might even need multiple lists.

    Third party modules can do whatever they want (preferably documented).

    Terry J. Reedy
    Terry Reedy, Sep 20, 2004