Re: Calendar module question

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Rebert, Feb 17, 2013.

  1. Chris Rebert

    Chris Rebert Guest

    On Saturday, February 16, 2013, Phil wrote:

    > Thank you for reading this.
    >
    > My adventures with Python have just begun and during the few weeks I have
    > tried many IDEs. The following piece of code fails under all IDEs, and the
    > interpreter, except under the Wing IDE.
    >
    > Why would this code work under the Wing IDE and nowhere else? Could there
    > be a different calendar module included with Wing?
    >
    > import calendar
    >
    > cal = calendar.prcal(2013)
    > print cal
    >
    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "calendar.py", line 1, in <module>
    > import calendar
    > File "/home/phil/calendar.py", line 3, in <module>
    > cal = calendar.prcal(2013)
    > AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'prcal'

    You named your own script file "calendar.py". As a result, when you
    did `import calendar`, due to the way Python 2.x searches for modules, it
    imports your file instead of the `calendar` module in the standard library,
    thus leading to the above exception. Because of this sort of problem, it
    is/was considered bad practice to give a module/package the same name as
    any std lib module.

    However, if you are running a recent-ish version of Python, adding `from
    __future__ import absolute_import` may resolve the problem. See PEP 328 for
    details. Absolute imports were thankfully made the default in Python 3.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chris
    Chris Rebert, Feb 17, 2013