Re: Calling a Perl Module from Python ( future direction of Python)

Discussion in 'Python' started by gf gf, Apr 6, 2005.

  1. gf gf

    gf gf Guest

    Really! That's a pity... Instead of trying to
    recreate a repository the size of CPAN, a Python
    interface to Perl modules is really called for.

    Instead of fretting over decorator syntax and
    lispiness, might I suggest that development efforts be
    directed to this? Developers, are you listening?
    Guido?

    PS And I don't mean waiting for Perl 6 to condense...

    --- Swaroop C H <> wrote:

    > On Apr 6, 2005 8:23 AM, gf gf
    > <> wrote:
    > > I've recently made the switch. Wow, is Python

    > great!
    > > One thing which I haven't been able to do is

    > replace
    > > Perl's great lib collection (HTML::parser, for
    > > instance, can do a lot that Soup just can't).

    > You've just discovered the only limitation of Python
    > (in my view) - it
    > doesn't have a module repository to rival CPAN.
    >
    > AFAIK, there isn't any reliable way to call Perl
    > modules from Python.
    >

    > --
    > Swaroop C H
    > Blog: http://www.swaroopch.info
    > Book: http://www.byteofpython.info

    __________________________________
    Yahoo! Messenger
    gf gf, Apr 6, 2005

  2. gf gf

    Jeff Reavis Guest

    Jeff Reavis, Apr 6, 2005

  3. gf gf

    D H Guest

    gf gf wrote:
    > Really! That's a pity... Instead of trying to
    > recreate a repository the size of CPAN, a Python
    > interface to Perl modules is really called for.

    CPAN modules are designed for Perl though. There's pyperl like they
    mentioned but it's like speaking two languages at once.
    It's not like the Java standard library or the .NET/Mono standard
    library that can be used easily with different languages. For Python,
    see PyPI and the Vaults of Parnassus: http://www.python.org/pypi
    http://www.vex.net/parnassus/

    > Instead of fretting over decorator syntax and
    > lispiness, might I suggest that development efforts be
    > directed to this? Developers, are you listening?
    > Guido?

    They are actually focusing more on the python standard library lately.
    D H, Apr 6, 2005
  4. gf gf

    Greg Ewing Guest

    gf gf wrote:
    > Really! That's a pity... Instead of trying to
    > recreate a repository the size of CPAN, a Python
    > interface to Perl modules is really called for.

    When Parrot comes on line, this presumably will
    become trivial...

    --
    Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
    University of Canterbury,
    Greg Ewing, Apr 7, 2005
  5. gf gf

    Greg Ewing Guest

    By the way, is the Parrot project still alive,
    or has it been given up on?

    Not that I actually want it, but the idea is
    kind of morbidly fascinating.

    Greg Ewing, Apr 7, 2005
  6. Greg Ewing <> wrote:
    > By the way, is the Parrot project still alive,

    Of course.

    leo
    --
    Apr 07 17:10:41 lux siggen[5353]: reading next random sig
    Apr 07 17:10:41 lux siggen[5353]: open: /usr/bin/fortun:
    Leopold Toetsch, Apr 7, 2005