Re: Can this be done witth CSS instead of a table?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by dorayme, Mar 8, 2009.

  1. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Padmar Mushkin <> wrote:

    > I have a column whose height is fixed, containing two rows. The bottom
    > row contains some element(s) whose height is unknown. The top row is
    > blank, and will be filled later dynamically. How do I set the height
    > of the top row so that it fills all the height of the column not used
    > by the bottom row? Thanks...

    <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/alt/var1.html>

    should give you and others cause to complain and get closer to your goal
    or modifying your goal when the limitations become apparent.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 8, 2009

  2. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Padmar Mushkin <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 13:03:57 +1100, dorayme
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > Padmar Mushkin <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have a column whose height is fixed, containing two rows. The bottom
    > >> row contains some element(s) whose height is unknown. The top row is
    > >> blank, and will be filled later dynamically. How do I set the height
    > >> of the top row so that it fills all the height of the column not used
    > >> by the bottom row? Thanks...

    > > <...var1.html>
    > >
    > >should give you and others cause to complain and get closer to your goal
    > >or modifying your goal when the limitations become apparent.

    > I'm not sure what you're getting at. But if you misunderstood me, what
    > I'm looking for is a way to shrink the green row in your example to
    > fit the content, and expand the yellow row to fit the remaining space
    > regardless of how much content it has.

    I was aiming to look further and gave up temporarily and thought,
    probably wrongly, to give *some* URL at least to save some typing for
    anyone with some idea how to do closer to what you want. I don't think
    it can be done as you describe in HTML/CSS alone but one needs to be
    careful saying such things around here. I will take above down, I was
    too hasty.

    Perhaps you could supply a URL of the stage which you have got to and
    show some more context of what you are doing to widen the scope of
    possible workarounds?

    Given that you have a fixed height in mind for the wrapper, what do you
    want to happen to the green when the yellow is filled later
    "dynamically" to such an extent that the height needed is greater than
    the height you allot to the wrapper? Happy with auto overflow?

    Plus, your subject suggests you think it can be done with a table, have
    you so done it, URL?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 8, 2009

  3. dorayme

    Gus Richter Guest

    Padmar Mushkin wrote:
    > On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 14:09:15 +1100, dorayme
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> Padmar Mushkin <> wrote:

    >>> I'm not sure what you're getting at. But if you misunderstood me, what
    >>> I'm looking for is a way to shrink the green row in your example to
    >>> fit the content, and expand the yellow row to fit the remaining space
    >>> regardless of how much content it has.

    >> I was aiming to look further and gave up temporarily and thought,
    >> probably wrongly, to give *some* URL at least to save some typing for
    >> anyone with some idea how to do closer to what you want. I don't think
    >> it can be done as you describe in HTML/CSS alone but one needs to be
    >> careful saying such things around here. I will take above down, I was
    >> too hasty.

    > If a little JavaScript is required, that's OK, since it will be
    > required for the page anyway. In fact I've already tried a little JS
    > hack and it works great in Firefox, but not in IE6 :(
    >
    >> Perhaps you could supply a URL of the stage which you have got to and
    >> show some more context of what you are doing to widen the scope of
    >> possible workarounds?

    > I'll post an URL in the morning if a solution hasn't occurred to me
    > overnight.
    >
    >> Given that you have a fixed height in mind for the wrapper, what do you
    >> want to happen to the green when the yellow is filled later
    >> "dynamically" to such an extent that the height needed is greater than
    >> the height you allot to the wrapper? Happy with auto overflow?

    > I will be scrolling the overflow.
    >
    >> Plus, your subject suggests you think it can be done with a table, have
    >> you so done it, URL?

    > I haven't actually tried a table yet, and it's sounding like that
    > won't work either,

    I think that incorporating what is presented here with a table is what
    you need.

    <http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/TS/html401/cp1001/1001-THEAD-TBODY-TFOOT-OVERFLOW.html>

    Based on some very old notes (~6 years old and not kept current)
    regarding which browser supports overflow and/or tfoot and the use of
    overflow:auto; directly on table cells. For the latter, it may be
    necessary to use a div and apply overflow to it. Testing on all browsers
    is therefore advised.

    --
    Gus

    Gus Richter, Mar 8, 2009
  4. On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 13:03:57 +1100, dorayme
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Padmar Mushkin <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a column whose height is fixed, containing two rows. The bottom
    >> row contains some element(s) whose height is unknown. The top row is
    >> blank, and will be filled later dynamically. How do I set the height
    >> of the top row so that it fills all the height of the column not used
    >> by the bottom row? Thanks...

    ><http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/alt/var1.html>
    >
    >should give you and others cause to complain and get closer to your goal
    >or modifying your goal when the limitations become apparent.

    The requested URL /alt/var1.html was not found on this server.

    Raymond Schmit, Mar 8, 2009
  5. On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 10:48:51 -0500, Padmar Mushkin <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 09:44:10 -0500, Padmar Mushkin <> wrote:
    >
    >>I've tried what you suggested below, and it works great. But my next
    >>step is to change the column's height from fixed to a percentage of
    >>the page, and have them resize when the page resizes. The script still
    >>works in Firefox. In IE6 it resizes the area fine on load, but fails
    >>on resize.
    >>
    >>I've uploaded a mock-up of the page here:
    >>
    >>http://otterplus.com/os/test.html

    >I found a JS hack that works with Firefox and IE6:
    >
    >http://otterplus.com/os/test2.html
    >
    >It's not the prettiest solution, but if it works in all major browsers
    >I can live with it. According to browsershots.org it seems to work in
    >just about anything except older versions of Opera. And IE8 shows just
    >a blank screen. Can anyone with IE8 verify if it works or not?
    >
    >Thanks to everyone for their help!

    If Javscript is disabled by the browser .... your contruction fall.

    Tables is not a so bad idea.
    And think about php ...

    Raymond Schmit, Mar 8, 2009
  6. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    (Raymond Schmit) wrote:

    > On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 13:03:57 +1100, dorayme
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > The requested URL /alt/var1.html was not found on this server.

    As I said later in thread, I took it off, it seemed not be of any use.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 8, 2009