Re: Cannot find text in *.py files with Windows Explorer?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Golden, Apr 4, 2009.

  1. Tim Golden

    Tim Golden Guest

    John Doe wrote:
    > Anybody have a solution for Windows (XP) Explorer search not finding
    > ordinary text in *.py files?

    It came up a couple of months ago either on this
    list or on python-win32. Don't have web access
    at the moment, but try searching the archives for
    references to search, registry settings and probably
    an msdn link. Now I think about it, try searching
    for "xplorer2" since I think I mentioned that I have
    used that instead of explorer for some while. That
    should get you the thread at any rate.

    TJG

    Tim Golden, Apr 4, 2009

  2. Tim Golden

    Ant Guest

    On Apr 4, 7:09 am, Tim Golden <> wrote:
    > ... Now I think about it, try searching
    > for "xplorer2" ...

    I'll second that. It's one of the few non-open source bits of software
    that I'll willingly pay a license for. Have used it for around 5 or 6
    years now. It's by a little 1 man company called Zabkat.

    --
    Ant.

    Ant, Apr 6, 2009

  3. Tim Golden

    John Doe Guest

    Tim Golden <> wrote:
    > John Doe wrote:

    >> Anybody have a solution for Windows (XP) Explorer search not
    >> finding ordinary text in *.py files?

    > It came up a couple of months ago either on this
    > list or on python-win32. Don't have web access
    > at the moment, but try searching the archives for
    > references to search, registry settings and probably
    > an msdn link.

    I think it goes something like this...
    Right-click My Computer -- manage -- services and applications --
    right-click indexing service -- properties -- generation -- check
    Index files with unknown extensions

    Note: turning on indexing is not necessary.

    Thanks to the replies.

    --
    Interested in making Windows and games obey your verbal commands?
    Continuous command recognition (much easier than speech recognition)

    John Doe, Apr 10, 2009