Re: Cannot find text in *.py files with Windows Explorer?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dave Angel, Apr 4, 2009.

  1. Dave Angel

    Dave Angel Guest

    John Doe wrote:
    > Tim Golden <> wrote:
    >
    >> Now I think about it, try searching for "xplorer2" since I think I
    >> mentioned that I have used that instead of explorer for some while.

    > Yeah... at least by the time I move from Windows XP to Windows 7, very
    > likely I will be using a different file manager. If I cannot
    > search Python files, now might be a good time to switch. Thanks for
    > the search criteria, I will look for that thread.

    The original thread is at
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/tutor/2009-January/066765.html

    and the product xplorer2 is at http://zabkat.com/
    Std version is $30, but there's a free version also.
    Dave Angel, Apr 4, 2009

  2. Dave Angel

    John Doe Guest

    Dave Angel <> wrote:
    > John Doe wrote:

    >> ...at least by the time I move from Windows XP to Windows 7,
    >> very likely I will be using a different file manager. If I cannot
    >> search Python files, now might be a good time to switch.

    > and the product xplorer2 is at http://zabkat.com/
    > Std version is $30, but there's a free version also.

    The free version uses Windows Explorer search, therefore it will not
    find text in *.py files. Same with Ultra Explorer.

    Another file manager, FreeCommander, does find text in Python files.
    John Doe, Apr 4, 2009

  3. Dave Angel

    John Doe Guest

    John Doe <> wrote:

    > Another file manager, FreeCommander, does find text in Python files.

    However... It does not have Undo! Potentially risky.
    John Doe, Apr 27, 2009
  4. Dave Angel

    Terry Reedy Guest

    John Doe wrote:
    > John Doe <> wrote:

    >> Another file manager, FreeCommander, does find text in Python files.

    > However... It does not have Undo! Potentially risky.

    Undo is an editor function. I do not believe Windows Explore has Undo
    either.
    Terry Reedy, Apr 27, 2009
  5. Dave Angel

    John Doe Guest

    Terry Reedy <> wrote:
    > John Doe wrote:
    >> John Doe <> wrote:

    >>> Another file manager, FreeCommander, does find text in Python
    >>> files.

    >> However... It does not have Undo! Potentially risky.

    > Undo is an editor function. I do not believe Windows Explore has
    > Undo either.

    Besides Undo... editing functions like copy, paste, and move are all
    included in a file manager. You might not need that (Undo) safety
    feature... then again, some users think they do not need to keep a
    removable media backup copy of important files from their hard drive
    either.

    Undo and other editing functions are part of a file manager. And Yes,
    Windows Explorer does include Undo. A file manager is too powerful to
    be without Undo, unless maybe it prompts the user every time
    files/folders are moved or deleted.

    Many have complained, but for some reason the author of FreeCommander
    does not care about that.

    --
    Interested in making Windows and games obey your verbal commands?
    Continuous command recognition (much easier than speech recognition)
    John Doe, Apr 27, 2009
  6. Dave Angel

    Terry Reedy Guest

    John Doe wrote:
    > Terry Reedy <> wrote:
    >> John Doe wrote:

    >>> However... It does not have Undo! Potentially risky.

    >> Undo is an editor function. I do not believe Windows Explore has
    >> Undo either.

    > Besides Undo... editing functions like copy, paste, and move are all
    > included in a file manager. You might not need that (Undo) safety
    > feature... then again, some users think they do not need to keep a
    > removable media backup copy of important files from their hard drive
    > either.
    >
    > Undo and other editing functions are part of a file manager. And Yes,
    > Windows Explorer does include Undo.

    I learn something new. In my WinXP, I found that Explorer has 'Undo
    Move' (good to learn actually, for when I drop a file in the wrong
    place), which also undoes normal delete (move to Recycle Bin) and which
    even 'undoes' copy by offering to move copy to recycle bin.

    A file manager is too powerful to
    > be without Undo, unless maybe it prompts the user every time
    > files/folders are moved or deleted.

    Explorer prompts both for Recycle-move and perma-delete.

    > Many have complained, but for some reason the author of FreeCommander
    > does not care about that.

    So I agree, better to reconfigure Windows search to look in .py files.
    Terry Reedy, Apr 27, 2009
  7. Dave Angel

    John Doe Guest

    Terry Reedy <> wrote:
    > John Doe wrote:

    >> Windows Explorer does include Undo.

    > I learn something new. In my WinXP, I found that Explorer has 'Undo
    > Move' (good to learn actually, for when I drop a file in the wrong
    > place),

    Yup!

    FWIW...
    I enable the Windows Explorer status bar here.
    Then, doing
    File -- Undo (without clicking)
    and hovering the pointer over "Undo" shows on the status bar the last
    undoable action, if any. That allows me to see what files were involved
    and where the files went.
    John Doe, Apr 27, 2009