Re: Cannot install Pypvm (Python Parallel Virtual Machine)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Diez B. Roggisch, May 6, 2008.

  1. wrote:

> [...]
    > ././pypvm_coremodule.c:2:18: error: pvm3.h: No such file or directory
    > ././pypvm_coremodule.c: In function ‘was_error’:
    > ././pypvm_coremodule.c:81: error: ‘PvmOk’ undeclared (first use in
    > this function)
    > ././pypvm_coremodule.c:81: error: (Each undeclared identifier is
    > reported only once
    > ././pypvm_coremodule.c:81: error: for each function it appears in.)
    > ././pypvm_coremodule.c:85: error: ‘PvmBadParam’ undeclared (first use
    > in this function)
    > ././pypvm_coremodule.c:85: error: ‘PvmMismatch’ undeclared (first use
    > in this function)
    > [...]
    > ././pypvm_coremodule.c:1889: error: ‘PvmDupEntry’ undeclared (first
    > use in this function)
    > ././pypvm_coremodule.c:1767: warning: unused variable ‘optModule’
    > ././pypvm_coremodule.c:1766: warning: unused variable ‘resultModule’
    > ././pypvm_coremodule.c:1765: warning: unused variable ‘notifyModule’
    > ././pypvm_coremodule.c:1764: warning: unused variable ‘spawnModule’
    > ././pypvm_coremodule.c:1763: warning: unused variable ‘dataModule’
    > ././pypvm_coremodule.c:1762: warning: unused variable
    > ‘exceptionModule’
    > make: *** [pypvm_coremodule.o] Error 1
    > [ore@localhost pypvm-0.94]$
    >

    > In in alternate version, "python setup.py build" similarly fails:
    >

    > [ore@localhost pypvm-0.94]$ python setup.py build
    > running build
    > running build_py
    > running build_ext
    > building 'pypvm_core' extension
    > gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-
    > D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-
    > size=4 -m32 -march=i386 -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -
    > D_GNU_SOURCE -fPIC -fPIC -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/python2.5 -c
    > pypvm_coremodule.c -o build/temp.linux-i686-2.5/pypvm_coremodule.o
    > pypvm_coremodule.c:2:18: error: pvm3.h: No such file or directory
    > pypvm_coremodule.c: In function ‘was_error’:
    > pypvm_coremodule.c:81: error: ‘PvmOk’ undeclared (first use in this
    > function)
    > pypvm_coremodule.c:81: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported
    > only once
    > pypvm_coremodule.c:81: error: for each function it appears in.)
    > pypvm_coremodule.c:85: error: ‘PvmBadParam’ undeclared (first use in
    > this function)
    > [...]
    > pypvm_coremodule.c:1889: error: ‘PvmDupEntry’ undeclared (first use in
    > this function)
    > pypvm_coremodule.c:1767: warning: unused variable ‘optModule’
    > pypvm_coremodule.c:1766: warning: unused variable ‘resultModule’
    > pypvm_coremodule.c:1765: warning: unused variable ‘notifyModule’
    > pypvm_coremodule.c:1764: warning: unused variable ‘spawnModule’
    > pypvm_coremodule.c:1763: warning: unused variable ‘dataModule’
    > pypvm_coremodule.c:1762: warning: unused variable ‘exceptionModule’

    You need to check which package provides the "pvm3.h"-include-file and
    install that. Usually, these are *-dev(el)?-packages.

    Diez
    Diez B. Roggisch, May 6, 2008

  2. Diez B. Roggisch

    Paul Boddie Guest

    On 9 Mai, 17:22, wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > I've found and installed the package containing pvm3.h. (The file is
    > now located under "share/pvm3/include/pvm3.h".) But Pypvm can't find
    > it.

    There is a pvm-dev package in Ubuntu, but it looks like Fedora employs
    a different package layout, since pvm-dev seems to have /usr/include/
    pvm3.h instead. See here for more details of the Ubuntu package:

    http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/i386/pvm-dev/filelist

    Had the headers been put in /usr/include, you might have been more
    fortunate with the rest of the process.

    > Someone recommended that I install the equivalent of what is called
    > "build-essential" in Ubuntu. I was told that the equivalent can be
    > achieved in Fedora like this:
    >
    > sudo yum groupinstall "Development Tools" --exclude=systemtap --
    > exclude=systemtap-runtime

    I can only guess what this is doing, but I imagine that it is indeed
    somewhat like the Ubuntu build-essential meta-package (which installs
    some compilers and headers).

    > I don't quite understand what these packages are supposed to do, but
    > they don't seem to help.

    I would doubt that the default set of compilers and headers would
    include PVM stuff - that's somewhat beyond what most developers would
    want.

    > Can anyone tell me how to make (the installation program for) Pypvm
    > understand where the header file is?

    Pypvm looks like it offers the old-style Makefile generation procedure
    or the new-style distutils procedure. With the old-style approach, you
    could edit the Makefile and add some parameters in various places - I
    guess you'd put "-Ishare/pvm3/include" on the end of the CFLAGS
    variable definition, and "-Lshare/pvm3/lib" on the end of the LDFLAGS
    definition. With the new-style approach, you have to persuade
    distutils to pick up similar information - some packages employ
    setup.cfg files for this purpose, whereas others make you specify
    extra options when running setup.py.

    Paul
    Paul Boddie, May 9, 2008