Re: Can't figure this code out

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Jim Gibson, Feb 2, 2009.

  1. Jim Gibson

    Jim Gibson Guest

    In article <>, Ben Bacarisse <>
    wrote:

    > I'm writing a little text game, and the interpreter is spitting back
    > an error for the following simple line:
    >
    > print "CLC complete-flood death countdown: 72 hours\n";
    >
    > What the hell is a "broken token sequence"?

    There is no such message listed in 'perldoc perldiag'. What version of
    Perl are you using? What platform? The error could be in the line above
    that one, which looks OK.

    FYI: comp.lang.perl is defunct. Try comp.lang.perl.misc in the future
    for better response.

    --
    Jim Gibson
    Jim Gibson, Feb 2, 2009

  2. Jim Gibson

    Default User Guest

    Jim Gibson wrote:

    > > print "CLC complete-flood death countdown: 72 hours\n";

    I guess nobody even read this part of the message.

    Brian

    won't shut up.
    Default User, Feb 2, 2009

  3. On 2 Feb 2009 at 23:09, Jim Gibson wrote:
    > In article <>, Ben Bacarisse <>
    > wrote:
    >> I'm writing a little text game, and the interpreter is spitting back
    >> an error for the following simple line:
    >>
    >> print "CLC complete-flood death countdown: 72 hours\n";

    Oh dear.

    Is anyone else worried that the blind stupidity of the clc "regulars"
    may have unleashed forces that none of us can control, and that this
    group is in danger of being destroyed right at the moment of its
    renaissance?
    Antoninus Twink, Feb 3, 2009
  4. Jim Gibson

    Richard Guest

    "Default User" <> writes:

    > Jim Gibson wrote:
    >
    >> > print "CLC complete-flood death countdown: 72 hours\n";

    > I guess nobody even read this part of the message.
    >

    > Brian

    Why do you insist in polluting us with your rule breaking signature? I
    thought you liked to play by standards?

    If you weren't such a jobsworth it probably would not irritate me so
    much that you feel there is one set of rules for others and another for
    you and your cohorts.
    Richard, Feb 3, 2009
  5. Jim Gibson

    Guest

    On 3 Feb, 00:00, Antoninus Twink <> wrote:
    > On  2 Feb 2009 at 23:09, Jim Gibson wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>, Ben Bacarisse <>
    > > wrote:
    > >> I'm writing a little text game, and the interpreter is spitting back
    > >> an error for the following simple line:

    > >> print "CLC complete-flood death countdown: 72 hours\n";

    > Oh dear.
    >
    > Is anyone else worried that the blind stupidity of the clc "regulars"
    > may have unleashed forces that none of us can control, and that this
    > group is in danger of being destroyed right at the moment of its
    > renaissance?

    Well, I'd disagree with the premise - I happen to think that it makes
    sense to use this newsgroup for the C language per se, and other
    newsgroups for stuff that clearly relates only to one of several
    common systems - but yes, I'm rather worried for the future of the
    group.
    , Feb 3, 2009
  6. Jim Gibson

    jameskuyper Guest

    [Some impersonator wrote:]

    > ... I'm rather worried for the future of the group.

    This is just someone who'd like to be respected for his brilliance,
    but has learned that the best he can hope for is to be respected for
    the nastiness of his vandalism, and fears that he might not even
    achieve that goal. Try not to pay too much attention to him.
    jameskuyper, Feb 3, 2009
  7. Jim Gibson

    CBFalconer Guest

    wrote:
    > Antoninus Twink <> wrote:

    .... snip ...

    >> Is anyone else worried that the blind stupidity of the clc
    >> "regulars" may have unleashed forces that none of us can
    >> control, and that this group is in danger of being destroyed
    >> right at the moment of its renaissance?

    > Well, I'd disagree with the premise - I happen to think that
    > it makes sense to use this newsgroup for the C language per
    > se, and other newsgroups for stuff that clearly relates only
    > to one of several common systems - but yes, I'm rather worried
    > for the future of the group.

    Bear in mind that Twink is a troll, bent only on interfering with
    the normal operation of c.l.c. Best ignored, or plonked.

    Try the download section.
    CBFalconer, Feb 3, 2009
  8. Han from China - Master TroXX <> writes:

    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >> Bear in mind that Twink is a troXX, bent only on interfering with
    >> the normal operation of c.l.c. Best ignored, or plonkXX.

    > Can you please at least use some different words from "troXX" and
    > "plonkXX" from now on? If you knew anything about how people on
    > alt.troll and other newsgroups operate, you'd probably realize that
    > it's people like you, Keith, and the rest who are responsible for
    > the current wave of pests we're getting.

    If that is so, why have you used both and quoted CBF using them, and
    why do you continue to include one of them in your name so that it is
    in *all* your posts an quoted in most replies?

    I have edited the text on the off-chance that you are right about
    this, but why do I doubt it?

    > It's no wonder they're using your names.

    Because of this. My name was used in one but I never use either word
    (expect I may have done when explaining why I don't like the term) and
    I don't discuss my GNUS score files, either.

    --
    Ben.
    Ben Bacarisse, Feb 4, 2009
  9. Ben Bacarisse <> writes:
    > Han from China - Master TroXX <> writes:
    >> CBFalconer wrote:
    >>> Bear in mind that Twink is a troXX, bent only on interfering with
    >>> the normal operation of c.l.c. Best ignored, or plonkXX.

    >> Can you please at least use some different words from "troXX" and
    >> "plonkXX" from now on? If you knew anything about how people on
    >> alt.troll and other newsgroups operate, you'd probably realize that
    >> it's people like you, Keith, and the rest who are responsible for
    >> the current wave of pests we're getting.

    > If that is so, why have you used both and quoted CBF using them, and
    > why do you continue to include one of them in your name so that it is
    > in *all* your posts an quoted in most replies?
    >
    > I have edited the text on the off-chance that you are right about
    > this, but why do I doubt it?
    >
    >> It's no wonder they're using your names.

    > Because of this. My name was used in one but I never use either word
    > (expect I may have done when explaining why I don't like the term) and
    > I don't discuss my GNUS score files, either.

    http://imagechan.com/images/a0202573cbc03a6a90a07840be0f9535.jpg

    Nokia
    Keith Thompson, Feb 4, 2009
  10. Jim Gibson

    Zurikela Guest

    Re: psych question about ignoring people

    On Feb 3, 10:38 pm, James Kuyper <> wrote:
    > I'm having trouble ignoring someone who's annoying me.  Is it a mistake
    > for me to tell them every few days that I'm ignoring them?  Does
    > that really count as ignoring them?  What are the best ways of getting
    > over someone?  If the person annoying me sees me telling other people
    > to ignore that person, is that counterproductive for what I'm trying
    > to do?  How have readers here successfully ignored people in the past?

    Do you think I can successfully ignore my parents?
    Zurikela, Feb 4, 2009
  11. Jim Gibson

    Flash Gordon Guest

    Ben Bacarisse wrote:
    > Han from China - Master TroXX <> writes:

    <snip attracting trouble>

    > If that is so, why have you used both and quoted CBF using them, and
    > why do you continue to include one of them in your name so that it is
    > in *all* your posts an quoted in most replies?

    You forgot all the posts by Han talking about whether other people are
    really ignoring him or not. If Han is correct about trouble being
    attracted by frequent use of specific words then he has done more to
    attract it than any other single poster.

    > I have edited the text on the off-chance that you are right about
    > this, but why do I doubt it?

    Because a simpler explanation is that it could be someone who has
    already claimed to know how to do near perfect forgeries and who is
    doing everything he can think of to disrupt the group. What better way
    to do this than to cause more trouble pretending it is some other group
    so he can pretend to be the defender of the group?
    --
    Flash Gordon
    Flash Gordon, Feb 4, 2009
  12. Jim Gibson

    CBFalconer Guest

    Flash Gordon wrote:
    > Ben Bacarisse wrote:
    >> Han from China - Master TroXX <> writes:

    > <snip attracting trouble>
    >
    >> If that is so, why have you used both and quoted CBF using them,
    >> and why do you continue to include one of them in your name so
    >> that it is in *all* your posts an quoted in most replies?

    > You forgot all the posts by Han talking about whether other people
    > are really ignoring him or not. If Han is correct about trouble
    > being attracted by frequent use of specific words then he has done
    > more to attract it than any other single poster.
    >
    >> I have edited the text on the off-chance that you are right about
    >> this, but why do I doubt it?

    > Because a simpler explanation is that it could be someone who has
    > already claimed to know how to do near perfect forgeries and who
    > is doing everything he can think of to disrupt the group. What
    > better way to do this than to cause more trouble pretending it is
    > some other group so he can pretend to be the defender of the group?

    Well, just for amusement, I passed Hannytrolls original output
    through my own Markov program. One of the outputs was the
    following. I can't really tell any difference. The input sample
    is too short to generate many variations, since the system pays
    attentions to paragraphs, etc.

    >>> Can you please at least use some different words from "troll" and
    >>> "plonked" from now on? If you knew anything about how people on
    >>> alt.troll and other newsgroups operate, you'd probably realize that
    >>> it's people like you and the prognosis isn't good. They're already
    >>> forcing in-thread replies and appear to have tested out a somewhat weak
    >>> Markov text generator. It's a familiar pattern that has been seen on
    >>> other newsgroups, and the rest who are responsible for the current wave
    >>> of pests we're getting. It's no wonder they're using your names.
    >>>
    >>> I've seen this happen on other newsgroups, and it only gets worse from
    >>> here -- much worse. I'll be damned if I'm gonna end up on a Visual
    >>> Basic newsgroup because people like you and the rest of the dickheads
    >>> have led this one to be ruined with your incessant bullshit and
    >>> provocative posts.

    (If interested, the Markov program is one of the examples in
    hashlib.zip)

    Try the download section.
    CBFalconer, Feb 5, 2009
  13. Jim Gibson

    chris Guest

    On Feb 3, 12:38 pm, James Kuyper <> wrote:
    > I'm having trouble ignoring someone who's annoying me.  Is it a mistake
    > for me to tell them every few days that I'm ignoring them?  Does
    > that really count as ignoring them?  What are the best ways of getting
    > over someone?  If the person annoying me sees me telling other people
    > to ignore that person, is that counterproductive for what I'm trying
    > to do?  How have readers here successfully ignored people in the past?

    giving the annoyer any attention is a mistake
    chris, Feb 5, 2009
  14. Jim Gibson

    HoofPrints Guest

    On Feb 3, 10:38 am, James Kuyper <> wrote:
    > I'm having trouble ignoring someone who's annoying me.  Is it a mistake
    > for me to tell them every few days that I'm ignoring them?  Does
    > that really count as ignoring them?  What are the best ways of getting
    > over someone?  If the person annoying me sees me telling other people
    > to ignore that person, is that counterproductive for what I'm trying
    > to do?  How have readers here successfully ignored people in the past?

    It is impossible with some people who are so insistant and obsessed
    with others, that even when the person has not been on USENET for over
    a year. { Marcia, It has been over a year now that I have been
    gone..and Hello to you.} to "AVOID" these people who have decided to
    'nominate' for offices and auk awards no matter how long you have
    gone. Once they get it in thier heads that they own you, have trained
    you, they continue to harass, and annoy you even if you are absent.
    They need help.
    The FNVW decided to add my name from AFAB for some office to which I
    was never elected.
    And the FNVW also put in the subject line the wrong year... oh my,
    FNVW doesn't even know the time of day because s/he is so wrapped up
    in thier BS and obsesssion.
    The cops won't help you, because they were invaded by someone who was
    merely employed for 3 months before getting fired. I was told one
    story on that incident, but have now revised my thinking based on the
    fact that this person, accessed my personal and private account at an
    organization I am in, changed my ability to access my own account, by
    changing the email addy, when I thought it was all straightened out,
    and then 7 months later went into another area, I found out that they
    had changed my residential address.
    This caused me to put in a change of address with the US post office.
    Yet this person, has told not only me several lies from her deluded
    mind, as well as those who can actually make an arrest or know others
    who can, a bunch of crap and it has ballooned into me holding some
    office of the wicked witch.
    "I'll get you my pretty!!" Kali, Kimberly K. Barnard psychology major
    supreme goddess of DID, and major projectile back at you.
    If you knew Kali, you would know that she and only she and her buds in
    'AUK' and elsewhere are the ones who "will get you my pretty", it is
    their way.

    Beware, they will get you, they got me and so manyothers. Most of
    them have family who were institutionalized and they love to get even.
    HoofPrints
    HoofPrints, Feb 12, 2009
  15. Jim Gibson

    marcia Guest

    On Feb 12, 1:28 pm, HoofPrints <> wrote:
    > On Feb 3, 10:38 am, James Kuyper <> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm having trouble ignoring someone who's annoying me. Is it a mistake
    > > for me to tell them every few days that I'm ignoring them? Does
    > > that really count as ignoring them? What are the best ways of getting
    > > over someone? If the person annoying me sees me telling other people
    > > to ignore that person, is that counterproductive for what I'm trying
    > > to do? How have readers here successfully ignored people in the past?

    > It is impossible with some people who are so insistant and obsessed
    > with others, that even when the person has not been on USENET for over
    > a year. { Marcia, It has been over a year now that I have been
    > gone..and Hello to you.} to "AVOID" these people who have decided to
    > 'nominate' for offices and auk awards no matter how long you have
    > gone. Once they get it in thier heads that they own you, have trained
    > you, they continue to harass, and annoy you even if you are absent.
    > They need help.
    > The FNVW decided to add my name from AFAB for some office to which I
    > was never elected.
    > And the FNVW also put in the subject line the wrong year... oh my,
    > FNVW doesn't even know the time of day because s/he is so wrapped up
    > in thier BS and obsesssion.
    > The cops won't help you, because they were invaded by someone who was
    > merely employed for 3 months before getting fired. I was told one
    > story on that incident, but have now revised my thinking based on the
    > fact that this person, accessed my personal and private account at an
    > organization I am in, changed my ability to access my own account, by
    > changing the email addy, when I thought it was all straightened out,
    > and then 7 months later went into another area, I found out that they
    > had changed my residential address.
    > This caused me to put in a change of address with the US post office.
    > Yet this person, has told not only me several lies from her deluded
    > mind, as well as those who can actually make an arrest or know others
    > who can, a bunch of crap and it has ballooned into me holding some
    > office of the wicked witch.
    > "I'll get you my pretty!!" Kali, Kimberly K. Barnard psychology major
    > supreme goddess of DID, and major projectile back at you.
    > If you knew Kali, you would know that she and only she and her buds in
    > 'AUK' and elsewhere are the ones who "will get you my pretty", it is
    > their way.
    >
    > Beware, they will get you, they got me and so manyothers. Most of
    > them have family who were institutionalized and they love to get even.HoofPrints

    Hi Hoof,

    I had to search to figure out what other newsgroup you were talking
    about. I was surprised to see your name on the AFAB ballot and
    inquired about having it removed, but as far as I know, that's the
    only time I've discussed you since you left. I was happy for you that
    you'd moved on from Usenet.

    Not sure which conversation you're referring to... unless you're
    talking about the ballot. Don't worry about people obsessing over you,
    or planning to cause you harm, or anything. No one has talked about
    you other than my raising that one question, must be a couple of weeks
    ago now.

    I hope you're doing well and leading a less stressful life. Take care,

    marcia
    marcia, Feb 12, 2009
  16. Jim Gibson

    marcia Guest

    Re: psych question about ignoring people

    On Feb 12, 1:28 pm, HoofPrints <> wrote:
    > On Feb 3, 10:38 am, James Kuyper <> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm having trouble ignoring someone who's annoying me. Is it a mistake
    > > for me to tell them every few days that I'm ignoring them? Does
    > > that really count as ignoring them? What are the best ways of getting
    > > over someone? If the person annoying me sees me telling other people
    > > to ignore that person, is that counterproductive for what I'm trying
    > > to do? How have readers here successfully ignored people in the past?

    > It is impossible with some people who are so insistant and obsessed
    > with others, that even when the person has not been on USENET for over
    > a year. { Marcia, It has been over a year now that I have been
    > gone..and Hello to you.} to "AVOID" these people who have decided to
    > 'nominate' for offices and auk awards no matter how long you have
    > gone. Once they get it in thier heads that they own you, have trained
    > you, they continue to harass, and annoy you even if you are absent.
    > They need help.
    > The FNVW decided to add my name from AFAB for some office to which I
    > was never elected.
    > And the FNVW also put in the subject line the wrong year... oh my,
    > FNVW doesn't even know the time of day because s/he is so wrapped up
    > in thier BS and obsesssion.
    > The cops won't help you, because they were invaded by someone who was
    > merely employed for 3 months before getting fired. I was told one
    > story on that incident, but have now revised my thinking based on the
    > fact that this person, accessed my personal and private account at an
    > organization I am in, changed my ability to access my own account, by
    > changing the email addy, when I thought it was all straightened out,
    > and then 7 months later went into another area, I found out that they
    > had changed my residential address.
    > This caused me to put in a change of address with the US post office.
    > Yet this person, has told not only me several lies from her deluded
    > mind, as well as those who can actually make an arrest or know others
    > who can, a bunch of crap and it has ballooned into me holding some
    > office of the wicked witch.
    > "I'll get you my pretty!!" Kali, Kimberly K. Barnard psychology major
    > supreme goddess of DID, and major projectile back at you.
    > If you knew Kali, you would know that she and only she and her buds in
    > 'AUK' and elsewhere are the ones who "will get you my pretty", it is
    > their way.
    >
    > Beware, they will get you, they got me and so manyothers. Most of
    > them have family who were institutionalized and they love to get even.HoofPrints

    (I don't know why this didn't show up the first time I posted it. You
    may see it twice.)

    marcia, Feb 12, 2009
  17. Jim Gibson

    Guest

    Re: psych question about ignoring people

    On Feb 3, 11:38 am, James Kuyper <> wrote...
    > I'm having trouble ignoring someone who's annoying me.  Is it a mistake
    > for me to tell them every few days that I'm ignoring them?  Does
    > that really count as ignoring them?  What are the best ways of getting
    > over someone?  If the person annoying me sees me telling other people
    > to ignore that person, is that counterproductive for what I'm trying
    > to do?  How have readers here successfully ignored people in the past?

    I should ignore you because I find your question annoying. But there
    are two psychological theories regarding this subject. One theory
    teaches that when someone's behavior annoys you, the problem is on
    their end, and they require treatment to correct their behavior to
    satisfy you. The other theory teaches that when someone annoys you,
    the problem is on your end, and you require treatment to correct your
    attitude so as to be more tolerant of people's differences. Whichever
    theory you choose to believe, the treatment is very expensive,
    starting at $250/hour.
    , Feb 15, 2009
  18. Jim Gibson

    On Feb 3, 1:38 pm, James Kuyper <> wrote:

    > I'm having trouble ignoring someone who's annoying me.  Is it a mistake
    > for me to tell them every few days that I'm ignoring them?  Does
    > that really count as ignoring them?  What are the best ways of getting
    > over someone?  If the person annoying me sees me telling other people
    > to ignore that person, is that counterproductive for what I'm trying
    > to do?  How have readers here successfully ignored people in the past?

    Negation is distinction.

    Tell them directly that "The best way to be noticed is to **** up".

    Talk about them indirectly. Such as posting in newgroup forums where
    you know they will find the message in the future by searching on
    google for keywords. Pepper your communications with references to
    issues in this persons life.

    The key here is recursive thinking to combat circular thinking.

    If you want to make someone psychotic just get them to think about the
    cause of the matter (all issues are psychological).

    "Ten"
    , Mar 10, 2009
  19. Re: psych question about ignoring people

    writes:

    > On Feb 3, 1:38 pm, James Kuyper <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm having trouble ...

    <snip>

    James Kuyper never wrote the text you quote as being his. What is
    more, nothing you say has anything to do with comp.lang.c. I have set
    followup-to. Please choose newsgroups carefully even when replying.

    --
    Ben.
    Ben Bacarisse, Mar 10, 2009
  20. Re: psych question about ignoring people

    In article <>,
    Ben Bacarisse <> wrote:
    > writes:
    >
    >> On Feb 3, 1:38 pm, James Kuyper <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm having trouble ...

    ><snip>
    >
    >James Kuyper never wrote the text you quote as being his. What is
    >more, nothing you say has anything to do with comp.lang.c. I have set
    >followup-to. Please choose newsgroups carefully even when replying.

    Yes, another newsgroup vandal.

    Fixed. No thanks necessary.
    Kenny McCormack, Mar 10, 2009