Re: can't get rid of this white space

Discussion in 'HTML' started by richard, May 16, 2009.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 16 May 2009 07:37:19 +0100, "Synapse Syndrome"
    <> wrote:

    >http://synapse.quicksytes.com/mock-frames/index.shtml
    >
    >What is causing the white space at the top of the scrolling content area?
    >
    >Cheers
    >
    >ss.

    Why do you insist on telling my browser that it's scroll bar can only
    be used for what YOU want?
    In FF 2 the right scroll begins below the header, not the top of the
    page as it should. If you want to scroll a certain area, then you
    provide that scroll with overflow.

    richard, May 16, 2009

  2. richard

    rf Guest

    richard wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 May 2009 07:37:19 +0100, "Synapse Syndrome"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> http://synapse.quicksytes.com/mock-frames/index.shtml
    >>
    >> What is causing the white space at the top of the scrolling content
    >> area?
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> ss.
    >>

    > Why do you insist on telling my browser that it's scroll bar can only
    > be used for what YOU want?
    > In FF 2 the right scroll begins below the header, not the top of the
    > page as it should. If you want to scroll a certain area, then you
    > provide that scroll with overflow.

    So where did you fail to see overflow: auto; on the div that contains the
    scroll bar that is part of that div and *not* the windows scroll bar?

    rf, May 16, 2009

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 16 May 2009 11:39:14 GMT, "rf" <> wrote:

    >richard wrote:
    >> On Sat, 16 May 2009 07:37:19 +0100, "Synapse Syndrome"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> http://synapse.quicksytes.com/mock-frames/index.shtml
    >>>
    >>> What is causing the white space at the top of the scrolling content
    >>> area?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>
    >>> ss.
    >>>

    >> Why do you insist on telling my browser that it's scroll bar can only
    >> be used for what YOU want?
    >> In FF 2 the right scroll begins below the header, not the top of the
    >> page as it should. If you want to scroll a certain area, then you
    >> provide that scroll with overflow.

    >So where did you fail to see overflow: auto; on the div that contains the
    >scroll bar that is part of that div and *not* the windows scroll bar?

    The division itself did not scroll as intended.
    Most likely due to the fact that in "body" he says overflow:hidden.
    Which causes any other overflows to be totally useless.
    Which then diverts the scroll function to the browser itself.

    Furthermore, he's using position absolute to place the divisions
    instead of using float.

    html {
    height:100%;
    max-height:100%;
    padding:0px;
    margin:0px;
    border:0px;
    background:#fff;
    overflow: hidden;
    }

    Is this guy serious? What purpose does this serve?

    body {
    height: 100%;
    max-height:100%;
    overflow:hidden;
    padding:0px;
    margin:0px;
    border:0px;
    }

    Yeah right. Ok so my browser window is 100px by 100px.
    I"m gonna see one screwed up page.

    richard, May 16, 2009