Re: Can't move that dialog box!

Discussion in 'HTML' started by rf, Jun 21, 2010.

  1. rf

    rf Guest

    alt.html.css removed. Not on my server.

    "JSoul" <> wrote in message
    > I've got a site appearing here:
    >
    > http://www.boldplan.com/s/tiny/tRvebO
    >
    > It validates. But when you click the "login" link in the main menu, I
    > can't move that login box over to the left in the center of the page!
    > What gives?

    You have specified it to be 145 pixels to the right of, and 117 px down
    from, the top left corner of its containing element.

    The containing element is the nearest ancestor that is positioned. This will
    be your div with class login-button. Your absolutely positioned login-pop
    div is being positioned relative to this containing element.

    If you want to position the popup relative to the page then it must be a
    direct child of something that is *not* positioned, probably body.

    BTW whats with all that CSS? CSS is meant to make things easy, you specify
    the font size (if you need to at all) exactly once, for the body element,
    and let all the others inherit that. You seem to be specifying absolutely
    everything (even the defaults) in every single style rule.
    rf, Jun 21, 2010

  2. rf

    rf Guest

    "rf" <> wrote in message
    > alt.html.css removed. Not on my server.
    >

    > "JSoul" <> wrote in message
    >> I've got a site appearing here:
    >>
    >> http://www.boldplan.com/s/tiny/tRvebO
    >>
    >> It validates. But when you click the "login" link in the main menu, I
    >> can't move that login box over to the left in the center of the page!
    >> What gives?

    > You have specified it to be 145 pixels to the right of, and 117 px down
    > from, the top left corner of its containing element.
    >
    > The containing element is the nearest ancestor that is positioned. This
    > will be your div with class login-button. Your absolutely positioned
    > login-pop div is being positioned relative to this containing element.
    >
    > If you want to position the popup relative to the page then it must be a
    > direct child of something that is *not* positioned, probably body.
    >

    > BTW whats with all that CSS? CSS is meant to make things easy, you specify
    > the font size (if you need to at all) exactly once, for the body element,
    > and let all the others inherit that. You seem to be specifying absolutely
    > everything (even the defaults) in every single style rule.

    alt.html.css removed once again, not on my server.

    dorayme, somebody, please, anybody who has access to alt.html.css, which is
    NOT on my news server, so I CANNOT post to it.

    Please reply to my post, quoting it, so the OP can see what the problem is,
    which AFAICS nobody has even come close to. Ta.

    Thus we see the bloody hassle involved with crossposting, let alone
    multiposting.
    rf, Jun 21, 2010

  3. rf

    123Jim Guest

    "rf" <> wrote in message

    > "rf" <> wrote in message
    >> alt.html.css removed. Not on my server.
    >>

    >> "JSoul" <> wrote in message
    >>> I've got a site appearing here:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.boldplan.com/s/tiny/tRvebO
    >>>
    >>> It validates. But when you click the "login" link in the main menu, I
    >>> can't move that login box over to the left in the center of the page!
    >>> What gives?

    >> You have specified it to be 145 pixels to the right of, and 117 px down
    >> from, the top left corner of its containing element.
    >>
    >> The containing element is the nearest ancestor that is positioned. This
    >> will be your div with class login-button. Your absolutely positioned
    >> login-pop div is being positioned relative to this containing element.
    >>
    >> If you want to position the popup relative to the page then it must be a
    >> direct child of something that is *not* positioned, probably body.
    >>

    >> BTW whats with all that CSS? CSS is meant to make things easy, you
    >> specify the font size (if you need to at all) exactly once, for the body
    >> element, and let all the others inherit that. You seem to be specifying
    >> absolutely everything (even the defaults) in every single style rule.
    >>

    > alt.html.css removed once again, not on my server.
    >

    > dorayme, somebody, please, anybody who has access to alt.html.css, which
    > is NOT on my news server, so I CANNOT post to it.
    >
    > Please reply to my post, quoting it, so the OP can see what the problem
    > is, which AFAICS nobody has even come close to. Ta.
    >

    > Thus we see the bloody hassle involved with crossposting, let alone
    > multiposting.

    The op replied to my post which was only posted in alt.html .. so I'm sure
    he can see your replies .. well I'm pretty sure ..
    123Jim, Jun 21, 2010
  4. rf

    dorayme Guest

    In article <hvo0lr$3nd$-september.org>,
    "123Jim" <> wrote:

    > "rf" <> wrote in message

    > > Please reply to my post, quoting it, so the OP can see what the problem
    > > is, which AFAICS nobody has even come close to. Ta.
    > >

    > > Thus we see the bloody hassle involved with crossposting, let alone
    > > multiposting.

    > The op replied to my post which was only posted in alt.html .. so I'm sure
    > he can see your replies .. well I'm pretty sure ..

    When I saw rf's post, I thought, well, perhaps I should not
    bother to look at OP's markup and CSS too closely, rf looked to
    be hitting the nail on the head.

    I am not so confident OP saw his post? He said in reply to OP's

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 22, 2010
  5. rf

    rf Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <hvo0lr$3nd$-september.org>,
    > "123Jim" <> wrote:
    >
    >> The op replied to my post which was only posted in alt.html .. so I'm
    >> sure
    >> he can see your replies .. well I'm pretty sure ..

    > When I saw rf's post, I thought, well, perhaps I should not
    > bother to look at OP's markup and CSS too closely, rf looked to
    > be hitting the nail on the head.

    The OP is using joomla dorayme. All bets are off regarding pretty code.
    rf, Jun 22, 2010
  6. rf

    dorayme Guest

    In article <B%WTn.4084$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <hvo0lr$3nd$-september.org>,
    > > "123Jim" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> The op replied to my post which was only posted in alt.html .. so I'm
    > >> sure
    > >> he can see your replies .. well I'm pretty sure ..

    > > When I saw rf's post, I thought, well, perhaps I should not
    > > bother to look at OP's markup and CSS too closely, rf looked to
    > > be hitting the nail on the head.

    > The OP is using joomla dorayme. All bets are off regarding pretty code.

    So I noticed. I remember Els seeming to think Joomla OK...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 22, 2010