Re: Can't seem to start on this

Discussion in 'Python' started by Kene Meniru, Jan 3, 2013.

  1. Kene Meniru

    Kene Meniru Guest

    D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

    >> As I mentioned, the file "A" can be considered a scene file. I do not

    > I don't know what a "scene" file is.

    A scene file is applicable to programs like POV-Ray at www.povray.org. It is
    a file that is used to describe 3D objects such as box, sphere, polygon,
    etc. My program specializes this situation and allows the user to describe
    building components to be used in constructing houses.

    > But you expect them to write Python code? ...

    Actually, I specifically do not want this. This is why in another thread
    (titled "Parsing files in python") I was proposing developing a new language
    with python-PLY. After the comments here and in the PLY group, I decided it
    would be easier to just port the application I have now before thinking in
    this direction so that I am clear in my mind what I want to do with python.

    > ... Here is a simpler example that may
    > meet your requirements.
    >
    > File B:
    >
    > class TopClass(object):
    > def __init__(self, snap_size):
    > self.snap_size = snap_size
    >
    > def put(self, ...

    I understand where you are coming from and this is already being done but in
    modules "C", "D", etc, following my previous description. Module "B" will
    have the boundary classes which the user uses to interact with these other
    modules ("C", "D", etc.).

    > In file A:
    >
    > class MyClass(TopClass):
    > def __init__(self):
    > TopClass.__init__(self, 10)
    >
    > x = MyClass()
    > x.put(...
    >
    > Now you have a new class where every instance uses a snap size of 10.
    > Notice that this class in what you call the user's code is only three
    > lines. That's pretty simple for your "user."

    If you can imagine creating hundreds of building components for each
    building described in the "A", then you will understand that for any user
    (who just wants to make buildings and not program), it is not desirable to
    use this method. Think of LaTeX and using simple symbols to tell the
    computer how to lay out text. I want to do the same for
    architecture/building engineering.

    > If you think that that is too complicated still then maybe the user
    > shouldn't be writing any Python code and instead look at the various
    > ways of parsing configuration files which they can write.

    Yes, I guess that is the main thing. I do not want users to have to write
    python code unless they are interested in customizing how the program
    behaves or perhaps a building component. In that case any of the other
    modules can be updated instead of "A". Actually "A" will not be part of the
    packaged program.
    Kene Meniru, Jan 3, 2013