Re: Can't understand python C apis

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dieter Maurer, Jun 23, 2012.

  1. gmspro <> writes:
    > I'm trying to understand the source code of python and how it works internally.
    > But i can't understand the python C apis.

    Usually, you try to understand the Python C api in order to write
    extensions for Python in C (e.g. to interface with an existing C library
    or to optimize a tight loop).

    If this is the case for you, then there is an alternative: "Cython".
    "Cython" actually is a compiler which compiles an extended Python
    source language (Python + type/variable declarations + extension types)
    into "C". With its help, you can create C extensions for Python
    without a need to know all the details of the Python C API.

    It might still be necessary at some point to understand more
    of the API but highly likely it will take considerable time
    to reach that point -- and then you might already be more familiar
    and the understanding might be easier.
    Dieter Maurer, Jun 23, 2012