    "Tim Churches" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Except when it comes to guns

    You should know better than getting into a discussion with Americans about guns.

    Asun Friere, Aug 27, 2003

  2. Asun Friere

    Paul Boddie Guest

    (Asun Friere) wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Tim Churches" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Except when it comes to guns

    > You should know better than getting into a discussion with Americans about
    > guns.

    Before we get into a long and pointless debate, it should be said that
    the film "Bowling for Columbine" does have a more sophisticated point
    about the relationship between gun availability and criminal acts than
    is typically made out or assumed (usually by people who haven't seen
    it, I might add). And with that, I'd advise anyone interested in
    pursuing such a debate to take it to the appropriate forums (and to
    see the film, too).

    Meanwhile, given ESR's latest "Star Wars trip" (as published by
    NewsForge and a whole load of other places by now, I'm sure) there's a
    strong argument for the issue of T-shirts which read "STFU ESR".
    Because like all of us, there are times when saying nothing is
    substantially better than saying something, especially when repeated
    references to "Obi-Wan", "The Emperor" and "Rebel Command" are made.

    Paul

    Paul Boddie, Aug 27, 2003