Re: Celebrity advice (was: Advice to a Junior in High School?)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Michele Simionato, Aug 28, 2003.

  1. Jacek Generowicz <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > One learns so much more from reading opinions opposed to one's own,
    > than from reading ones with which you agree.

    I thought it was worth repeating.

    Michele Simionato, Ph. D.

    http://www.phyast.pitt.edu/~micheles
    --- Currently looking for a job ---

    Michele Simionato, Aug 28, 2003

  2. Michele Simionato

    JanC Guest

    Gerrit Holl <> schreef:

    > Of course, this is only true if the other oppinions are based on
    > points (can't find the English word for "gefundeerd"... founded?)

    Yes, "founded" or "well-founded" (vs. "ill-founded")

    > In the Dutch politics newsgroup nl.politiek, a lot of opinions are
    > available which aren't mine, but less than 5% of them has any points.

    Sounds like be.politics then, but IIRC 95% of the messages in those two
    groups are cross-posts anyway... ;-)

    --
    JanC

    JanC, Aug 31, 2003

  3. Gerrit Holl <> writes:

    > Michele Simionato wrote:
    > > Jacek Generowicz <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > >
    > > > One learns so much more from reading opinions opposed to one's own,
    > > > than from reading ones with which you agree.

    > > I thought it was worth repeating.

    > Of course, this is only true if the other oppinions are based on
    > points

    Not necessarily. I think that you can learn a lot from reading
    opinions opposed to yours, even if those opinions are completely
    unfounded. What you learn is of a different nature than what you would
    learn if the points had some solid base, however.

    Jacek Generowicz, Sep 1, 2003