Re: Celebrity advice

Discussion in 'Python' started by Arthur, Aug 27, 2003.

  1. Arthur

    Arthur Guest

    Lulu writes -
    ]
    >ESR's "arguments" boil down to: (1) Wow, isn't it fun hearing guns make
    >a loud bang; (2) Oh yeah, be careful not to point them at people by
    >accident; (3) This bunch of invented history kinda-sorta supports my
    >nutsiness, if you squint and don't think about it too hard; (4) Did I
    >mention that I like to hear loud bangs?

    Eric Raymeond at http://armedndangerous.blogspot.com/

    ""There are some books so bad, but so plausible and influential, that
    periodically trashing them in public is almost an obligation. The really
    classic stinkeroos of this kind, like Karl Marx's Das Kapital, exert a weird
    kind of seduction on otherwise intelligent people long after their factual
    basis has been completely exploded."""

    I gotta go with with Eric on this.

    Lulu can correct me if I am wrong, but links from Lulu's site has led me to
    understand him to be an avowed "otherwise intelligent person".

    We all knew this kind of discussion would lead to no good. Even to my own
    eventual involvment. But the rule I had set to myself, would be to comment
    only upon Lulu's comment, and only if that comment was something other than
    to the effect that one's politics might be irrelevent here, and that the
    advice to a new programmer to eschew Raymond because of his was .. bad
    advice.

    That being *my* comment.

    Art

    Arthur, Aug 27, 2003

  2. |Eric Raymeond at http://armedndangerous.blogspot.com/
    |""There are some books so bad, but so plausible and influential, that
    |periodically trashing them in public is almost an obligation. The really
    |classic stinkeroos of this kind, like Karl Marx's Das Kapital

    |Lulu can correct me if I am wrong, but links from Lulu's site has led
    |me to understand him to be an avowed "otherwise intelligent person".

    I make no such avowal. I just post missives from the land of the
    lotus-eaters. And I sometimes find my ideas in everyones' heads[*]

    That said, I'm probably one of fairly few list contributors who owns the
    complete standard edition of Marx and Engels' writings (except an
    unfortunate gap at 1857, and in some of the letters)... and who has read
    a substantial chunk of it.[**] I imagine ESR has not so read.

    |advice to a new programmer to eschew Raymond...

    I would certainly never urge anyone to eschew reading ESRs essays. I
    would urge them to find the essays a little bit silly--this applies as
    much, actually, to the "Homesteading" and "Cathedral" essays as to the
    gun-nut stuff.

    But then, Raymond is a bit of an amateur in the areas I studied as a
    profession (political philosophy, economics, sociology, etc). I'd
    certainly give him high marks in one of my erstwhile classes.
    Nonetheless, I sure wouldn't want his job as "Official ideologue of Open
    Source"... it's way too much work. And he writes mostly true things,
    even if for the wrong reasons.

    Yours, Lulu...

    [*] Who the heck put the 'post' in post-Situ?! OK, I protest too much,
    since I know it was a delightful writer named Hakim Bey, whom I saw
    speak a couple weeks back (after reading his books some years earlier).

    [**] Although I confess I never quite made it through Volume Three, I
    know some certain persons who have.... and discovered that my own little
    village (literally) in Western Massachusetts, called Turners Falls
    (after a local mass murderer of the prior locals), appeared by name in a
    nice turn of phrase about cutlery.

    --
    _/_/_/ THIS MESSAGE WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY: Postmodern Enterprises _/_/_/

    Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters, Aug 28, 2003