re: celebrity advice

Discussion in 'Python' started by Arthur, Aug 28, 2003.

  1. Arthur

    Arthur Guest

    Owen write -

    >I don't see the link with Python, but anyway...
    >Very long ago, some books where burnt in public,
    >for "religious" reasons, later for political
    >reasons. Hopefully these old practice have
    >disappeared and will never come back.
    >And since this crazy guy seems not have read
    >even one line of this book, one can imagine
    >he was bred in an "anti-something", narrow-minded
    >fashion. Actually he is more dangerous than what
    >he denounces... Books are pricey, his advice
    >is not.

    Though it is not clear to whom or what you are referring.

    But it is true I did mean to be more explicit in my advocacy of book
    burning.

    thanks for filling in the wholes.

    And how does one arrange for a receipt when one finishes a line?

    Art
    Arthur, Aug 28, 2003

  2. Re: Burn some books (please)...

    Alex Martelli <> wrote previously:
    |>>Very long ago, some books where burnt in public,

    |Very long as in, Winter 2001/2002, for example?
    |...as long of course as the books you burn belong to you, that's a form of
    |political speech which is just as acceptable as burning a flag.

    I just want to point out to the readership that many copies of _Text
    Processing in Python_ are available at your local bookstore for public
    burning. There's heresy in that book! (apparently I trend a bit to far
    in an FP direction :)).

    I think I can speak for Alex in pointing out that _Python in a Nutshell_
    also makes for excellent kindling.

    Yours, David...

    --
    Keeping medicines from the bloodstreams of the sick; food from the bellies
    of the hungry; books from the hands of the uneducated; technology from the
    David Mertz, Ph.D., Aug 28, 2003

  3. Arthur

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Re: Burn some books (please)...

    "David Mertz, Ph.D." wrote:

    > |Very long as in, Winter 2001/2002, for example?
    > |...as long of course as the books you burn belong to you, that's a form of
    > |political speech which is just as acceptable as burning a flag.
    >
    > I just want to point out to the readership that many copies of _Text
    > Processing in Python_ are available at your local bookstore for public
    > burning. There's heresy in that book! (apparently I trend a bit to far
    > in an FP direction :)).
    >
    > I think I can speak for Alex in pointing out that _Python in a Nutshell_
    > also makes for excellent kindling.

    As a start, since I'm actually in need of my copies of both the
    aforementioned tomes, I've printed out several copies of your
    newsgroup posting (above), and some of Alex's, and have built
    a small campfire in the pair-programming room to warm the
    programmers as they code. Thank you.

    -Peter
    Peter Hansen, Aug 28, 2003
  4. Re: Burn some books (please)...

    David Mertz, Ph.D. wrote:

    > |Very long as in, Winter 2001/2002, for example?
    > |...as long of course as the books you burn belong to you, that's a form
    > |of political speech which is just as acceptable as burning a flag.
    >
    > I just want to point out to the readership that many copies of _Text
    > Processing in Python_ are available at your local bookstore for public
    > burning. There's heresy in that book! (apparently I trend a bit to far
    > in an FP direction :)).
    >
    > I think I can speak for Alex in pointing out that _Python in a Nutshell_
    > also makes for excellent kindling.

    Unfortunately, the "Nutshell" is far too orthodox to make good
    burning material in the symbolic sense, even though its physical
    combustibility is not in doubt.

    Rather, I would suggest the "Python Cookbook", which does have
    enough examples of a-tad-too-clever-for-your-own-good tricks
    (just like David's "Text Processing with Python") to make burning
    it on the altar of simplicity a symbolically worthwhile endeavour.

    Alex
    Alex Martelli, Aug 29, 2003
  5. Re: Burn some books (please)...

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:14:48 -0400, rumours say that Peter Hansen
    <> might have written:

    [David Mertz hilariously suggests that his latest book, along with Alex
    Martelli's one, are available for purchase and burning for religious
    and/or political reasons...]

    [Peter]
    >As a start, since I'm actually in need of my copies of both the
    >aforementioned tomes, I've printed out several copies of your
    >newsgroup posting (above), and some of Alex's, and have built
    >a small campfire in the pair-programming room to warm the
    >programmers as they code. Thank you.

    Well, you wouldn't have to build a campfire if you had reached Pair
    Programming level 2, AKA Quite Intimate Pair Programming :)
    --
    TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,
    Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou, Aug 29, 2003
  6. Re: Burn some books (please)...

    On 28 Aug 2003 19:41:24 -0700, rumours say that (yaipa
    h.) might have written:

    >As a way of saying thanks, I purchased two copies of your fine book.
    >One for myself and one for our local library.

    I'm waiting for the bbqback version. :)
    --
    TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,
    Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou, Aug 29, 2003