Re: Cellphone addressing

Discussion in 'Java' started by frankgerlach22@gmx.de, Aug 21, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Roedy Green schrieb:

    > I would like to understand how cellphones are addressed. I was under
    > the impression they each were assigned a number, just like land lines.
    > Therefore all North American phone lines would have a number of the
    > form (999)999-9999.
    >
    > I have also heard of SMS, and email. I don't know what sort of
    > addresses they use. I would expect email to have addresses something
    > like
    >

    > Then I saw an ad on TV that for a mere $1 you could get a text joke
    > delivered to your phone by sending a text message to a number with 5
    > digits. What was that?

    It seems that Phone Companies set up smaller numbers for special
    services (which often cost a lot)... These five-digit numbers also
    appear in Germany. I guess that these numbers are reconized in every
    telephone switch and then somehow redirected to another (potentially
    longer) phone number. But I am not a telecom export, so maybe I'm wrong.

    , Aug 21, 2005

  2. Joan Guest

    "" <> wrote in message

    > Roedy Green schrieb:
    >
    >> I would like to understand how cellphones are addressed. I
    >> was under
    >> the impression they each were assigned a number, just like
    >> land lines.
    >> Therefore all North American phone lines would have a number
    >> of the
    >> form (999)999-9999.
    >>
    >> I have also heard of SMS, and email. I don't know what sort
    >> of
    >> addresses they use. I would expect email to have addresses
    >> something
    >> like
    >>

    >> Then I saw an ad on TV that for a mere $1 you could get a text
    >> joke
    >> delivered to your phone by sending a text message to a number
    >> with 5
    >> digits. What was that?

    > It seems that Phone Companies set up smaller numbers for
    > special
    > services (which often cost a lot)... These five-digit numbers
    > also
    > appear in Germany. I guess that these numbers are reconized in
    > every
    > telephone switch and then somehow redirected to another
    > (potentially
    > longer) phone number. But I am not a telecom export, so maybe
    > I'm wrong.

    Telephone switches use rules to translate the user input to a
    real number.
    But there are probably some fixed numbers too, not many.
    For so called 800 numbers (includes 888 and 887 etc.) they use a
    database.
    For VoIP signaling, SIP is often used which uses phone numbers
    that look
    like internet addresses.

    Joan, Aug 21, 2005