Re: centering a div

Discussion in 'HTML' started by David Graham, Jul 6, 2003.

  1. David Graham

    David Graham Guest

    "DU" <> wrote in message
    > David Graham wrote:
    > > I know this has been done to death but I never thought IE6 behaved as

    badly
    > > as IE5 and IE5.5 as regards centering. The code below should not center

    the
    > > red bordered child div but it does. NN7 gets it right and leaves the red

    div
    > > left aligned. See screen shot of appearance in IE6
    > >
    > > whats going on? - you can see from code in screen shot that IE6 is not

    in
    > > quirk mode.
    > >
    > > Any thoughts please
    > >
    > > David

    http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunclear/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE6Bugs/MSIE6B
    ugs.html
    > and see bug #3.
    >
    > If you remove text-align:center, which serve no purpose really in your
    > external div, then all W3C web standards DOM-1 compliant browsers will
    > (should?) render the page exactly the same.
    >
    > David, please avoid loading images like that: instead, just give an url
    > otherwise people paying for traffic get to pay for considerable bytes
    > even though they might not read at all this thread.
    >
    > DU
    > --
    > Javascript and Browser bugs:
    > http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunclear/

    Sorry about the image - will provide URL next time. My point, was I thought
    text-align: center was only supposed to align inline elements like text or
    images (in modern browsers in standard mode) - I was surprised that IE6 made
    the same mistake as older versions i.e. IE5.5 or IE5

    or am I not understanding this properly?
    thanks
    David

    David Graham, Jul 6, 2003