Re: Centring text in a rect in PyGame?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Golden, Dec 8, 2013.

  1. Tim Golden

    Tim Golden Guest

    On 07/12/2013 12:41, Eamonn Rea wrote:
    > First of all. I’d like to say I have no idea how these ‘mailing lists’
    > work, so I don’t know if this’ll come through right, but we’ll see I
    > guess :) I’m coming from the Google Group comp.lang.python, and was
    > suggested to use this instead. Assuming attachments and images work, you
    > should have an image of my code’s result and the attached code files.

    [... snip HTML text, images & attached code files ...]

    Hi Eamonn.

    I'm one of the list owners so this reply is about list etiquette rather
    than the pygame issue you're having :) I'm taking advantage of your
    self-professed ignorance to make some general points which other might
    find helpful. I hope you don't mind.

    First: python-list mirrors comp.lang.python and vice versa (either via
    nntp or via Google Groups). However GG has, for the last while, been
    responsible for disrupting the text it passes through -- extra line
    spaces etc. -- with the result that mailing list or newsgroup readers
    find it very frustrating to read GG-formatted versions of messages. I
    expect that's why you were pointed towards the mailing list. It's also
    possible to access via comp.lang.python on Usenet; or
    comp.python.general on gmane.

    In general, while it's technically possible to post screenshots and to
    attach code files to the mailing list, it's not encouraged. At least
    partly that's because those who read via Usenet probably won't see them.
    Even those of us reading via mailing list may find it harder to read
    your post if it's spread out among multiple files.

    And to complete the list, you should post in plain text rather than HTML
    or rich-text. For much the same reasons. In short, the mailing list and
    the newsgroup it mirrors are best treated as plain text only.

    Another reason for discouraging screen / code dumps is that the very
    fact of narrowing down a small, repeatable segment of code with which to
    illustrate the issue can actually lead to your seeing the problem
    anyway! Even if it doesn't it's *much* easier for the other list members
    to comprehend / try out a small code segment than to read through your
    whole code.

    If push comes to shove, you can post code on a pastebin service -- but
    that is frowned upon by some, both because of the need to link to an
    unknown URL and because the code you post may not be there in 2 years
    time when someone having the same issue is following this thread to find
    help!

    TJG
    Tim Golden, Dec 8, 2013

  2. Tim Golden

    rusi Guest

    On Sunday, December 8, 2013 7:36:04 PM UTC+5:30, Tim Golden wrote:
    > On 07/12/2013 12:41, Eamonn Rea wrote:
    > > First of all. Id like to say I have no idea how these mailing lists
    > > work, so I dont know if this'll come through right, but we'll see I
    > > guess :) I'm coming from the Google Group comp.lang.python, and was
    > > suggested to use this instead. Assuming attachments and images work, you
    > > should have an image of my code�s result and the attached code files.

    Hi Eamonn

    There are some new instructions/suggestions to make google groups
    easier on you (and other readers!)

    https://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython

    If you try them and they work (or even if they dont!) please let me know.

    Particularly note the new section at the end
    https://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython#Automatic_correction_.28EXPERIMENTAL.29
    rusi, Dec 8, 2013