Re: Chaco for real-time plot of PySerial data

Discussion in 'Python' started by Robert Kern, Nov 3, 2011.

  1. Robert Kern

    Robert Kern Guest

    On 11/1/11 10:27 PM, Jack Keegan wrote:
    > Hi there,
    > I asked this question on the enthought chaco mailing list some time last by have
    > yet to receive a reply. Thought I'd ask here to see if anyone could shed some
    > light on things for me. I have been considering using chaco / traits for close
    > to a year now and am finally biting the bullet so to speak. What I would really
    > like to do to begin with is to make a real-time plotting application which gets
    > its data from the serial port. Can anyone please point me in the right direction
    > for doing this?
    > Since I didn't get a reply on the chaco list I'm now thinking it might be a
    > dangerous route to go down since it will be difficult to get help. Any
    > recommendations?

    I'm sorry we didn't respond to you. The chaco-users mailing list is not
    well-subscribed or well-trafficked, but the mailing
    list is. We haven't done a good job of letting new people know they should be on
    the chaco-users list to answer questions or updating the documentation to point
    users to enthought-dev instead.

    Anyways, to answer your question, we have several examples of how one sets up a
    plot then updates it with new data:

    I can't help much with the PySerial part, I'm afraid. Integrating that with the
    GUI event loop is probably going to be the trickiest bit.

    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."
    -- Umberto Eco
    Robert Kern, Nov 3, 2011