Re: Chaco for real-time plot of PySerial data

Discussion in 'Python' started by Robert Kern, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Robert Kern

Robert Kern Guest

On 11/1/11 10:27 PM, Jack Keegan wrote:
    > Hi there,
    > I asked this question on the enthought chaco mailing list some time last by have
    > yet to receive a reply. Thought I'd ask here to see if anyone could shed some
    > light on things for me. I have been considering using chaco / traits for close
    > to a year now and am finally biting the bullet so to speak. What I would really
    > like to do to begin with is to make a real-time plotting application which gets
    > its data from the serial port. Can anyone please point me in the right direction
    > for doing this?
    > Since I didn't get a reply on the chaco list I'm now thinking it might be a
    > dangerous route to go down since it will be difficult to get help. Any
    > recommendations?

I'm sorry we didn't respond to you. The chaco-users mailing list is not
    well-subscribed or well-trafficked, but the mailing
    list is. We haven't done a good job of letting new people know they should be on
    the chaco-users list to answer questions or updating the documentation to point
    users to enthought-dev instead.

Anyways, to answer your question, we have several examples of how one sets up a
    plot then updates it with new data:

I can't help much with the PySerial part, I'm afraid. Integrating that with the
    GUI event loop is probably going to be the trickiest bit.

Robert Kern

"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma
    that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had
    an underlying truth."
    -- Umberto Eco
    Robert Kern, Nov 3, 2011
    1. Advertisements