Re: Change link sensivity area using CSS

Discussion in 'HTML' started by C A Upsdell, Dec 2, 2010.

  1. C A Upsdell

    C A Upsdell Guest

    On 2010-12-02 13:21, Mojo wrote:
    > Some of my users have complained that the main menu dropdown can be
    > triggered too easily by having your mouse button below the menu.
    >
    > http://www.boldplan.com/s/tiny/dbE3C6
    >
    > So if you try to click on the browse categories area or other
    > selection on the sub nav bar, you sometimes might trigger the main
    > menu. I'm not sure how to move the hyperlink sensitivity up without
    > affecting the actual placement of the text link itself. I'm hoping
    > someone can give me an insight as to an idea we can do to change this.

    With FF there is definitely a problem when the font size is larger than
    you expect. Vertical gaps appear above the submenus, especially the
    "Law Profession" submenu, and if the cursor moves from the submenu to
    its gap, the submenu loses focus to the second menu bar.

    I suspect from the behaviour of your page that you are specifying many
    font sizes in pixels, which tends to hide the problem in IE.

    I recommend that:

    1. You specify all font sizes in either em units or in percentages,
    *not* in pixels. (This is also better from the users' perspectives.)

    2. You specify vertical positions for drop-down submenus in ex units.
    I've found that many problems with positioning of menus of this type can
    be avoided by specifying appropriate dimensions in ex units, especially
    with some browsers, as this avoids certain pixel rounding problems.

    3. You test with FF, zooming with text only, in order to make the
    problems clearer for troubleshooting.

    HTH

    C A Upsdell, Dec 2, 2010