Re: characted encoding problem

Discussion in 'HTML' started by DU, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. DU

    DU Guest

    highland wrote:
    > Hello
    > I write my html page in my native language (Polish),
    > so i always set "Encoding Page" :
    > <META HTTP-EQUIV="content-type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-2"
    > but, browsers does not respect that, they always want to browse
    > using western iso-8859-1.

    Does this also happen when viewing the local page? Does this only happen
    when viewing the page from a remote server?

    > I netscape navigator 7 i set:
    > Edit/Preferences/Appearance/Fonts Font for Central Europe

    This NS 7 setting is mostly to define which default font will be used
    for respective character encoding... unless you allow a document to use
    other fonts. The decisive issue is that
    1- such font must be present and installed on the user's system and
    2- it must be able to display, render the characters (glyphs).

    > Edit/Preferences/Languages Polish and Default Characte encoding iso8859-2

    You must mean
    Edit/Preferences/Navigator/Languages

    > but it did not help, if i set by hand in browser iso8859-2 it looks
    > fine, but when i reload page there is again iso8859-1. Why ?
    > Similar problems in IE6.

    Make sure your markup code is valid, validated and uses a doctype
    declaration.

    http://validator.w3.org/

    I don't think this might be the problem... but from the details and info
    you provided, it's not possible to say more.

    > Could anybody help ?
    >
    > Thanx
    > Michal

    Try this page I wrote several months ago for Polish translators; it
    works fine both locally and on the geocities.com server and for NS 7.1,
    MSIE 6 for Windows, Mozilla 1.4 and Opera 7.11:

    http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Realm/8655/POLISH/TestingPolish.htm

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs: