Re: character-at-a-time input from command line

Discussion in 'Java' started by Tim Tyler, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Tim Tyler

    Tim Tyler Guest

    William Morris <> wrote:

    : As a Java novice, I thought restricting myself to the console would be
    : an easy way to start learning, without worrying about AWT or Swing.

    What you get by default in Java (without messing with native stuff)
    is pretty basic.

    Java basically emulates a teletype :-| No fancy stuff like colours
    or monitoring keystrokes - it's strictly one line at a time input only.

    Its command-line interface is one of the places where the rumours
    that Java represents portability via the lowest common denominator
    really are true.
    --
    __________

    Tim Tyler, Jun 27, 2003

  2. Tim Tyler

    Tom McGlynn Guest

    Tim Tyler wrote:
    > William Morris <> wrote:
    >
    > : As a Java novice, I thought restricting myself to the console would be
    > : an easy way to start learning, without worrying about AWT or Swing.
    >
    > What you get by default in Java (without messing with native stuff)
    > is pretty basic.
    >
    > Java basically emulates a teletype :-| No fancy stuff like colours
    > or monitoring keystrokes - it's strictly one line at a time input only.
    >
    > Its command-line interface is one of the places where the rumours
    > that Java represents portability via the lowest common denominator
    > really are true.

    Apropos of nothing and surely off topic...
    It comes to me that this common math metaphor is wrong.
    An LCD is the smallest number that includes all the factors
    in any element of the starting set. By analogy LCD software
    would include any feature found in any environment
    it is ported to.

    It would be more appropriate to call software that
    only includes what's available in >all< environments as using the
    Greatest Common Factor. That's the number which shares all the
    factors that are in every number in the starting set.
    I suppose something that begins with 'Lowest' sounds more
    disparaging that something that starts 'Greatest'. I guess
    we won't hear about things being reduced to the GCF any
    time soon!

    Regards,
    Tom McGlynn

    Tom McGlynn, Jun 27, 2003