Re: check browser problems with Opera

Discussion in 'HTML' started by DU, Sep 2, 2003.

  1. DU

    DU Guest

    Phil Thompson wrote:
    > how can i change the check browser behaviour so that users with an Opera
    > broswer will go to an alt url to those using IE. at the moment i have the DW
    > MX behaviour configured so netscape and non-IE browsers go to an alternative
    > url but when viewing the site in Opera it won't refresh to the alternative
    > url.
    >

    > this is the code from DW MX:
    >
    > MM_checkBrowser(4.0,1,2,4.0,2,2,0,'index.htm','../CBIT/index.htm');return
    > document.MM_returnValue"
    >

    > Phil

    96% of browsers in use out there have a very good support for DOM1 and
    CSS1. Whenever I do a webpage (not a complex one), I code for these
    browsers. For the other 4%, I only check if the content is accessible: I
    do not make any extra effort for these browsers to render the layout
    like it is in DOM1 and CSS1 compliant browsers.

    One day, people have to upgrade their browsers, you know. Otherwise,
    you'll always downgrade your whole code to cater for only 4% of users or
    do multiple versions of whole sites... which is absurd. Catering for
    MSIE 4 and NS 4 users does not make any sense at all in my mind.

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs:

    DU, Sep 2, 2003

  2. "DU" <> wrote in message
    > Phil Thompson wrote:
    > > how can i change the check browser behaviour so that users with an Opera
    > > broswer will go to an alt url to those using IE. at the moment i have

    the DW
    > > MX behaviour configured so netscape and non-IE browsers go to an

    alternative
    > > url but when viewing the site in Opera it won't refresh to the

    alternative
    > > url.
    > >

    > > this is the code from DW MX:

    MM_checkBrowser(4.0,1,2,4.0,2,2,0,'index.htm','../CBIT/index.htm');return
    > > document.MM_returnValue"
    > >

    > > Phil
    > >

    > 96% of browsers in use out there have a very good support for DOM1 and
    > CSS1. Whenever I do a webpage (not a complex one), I code for these
    > browsers. For the other 4%, I only check if the content is accessible: I
    > do not make any extra effort for these browsers to render the layout
    > like it is in DOM1 and CSS1 compliant browsers.
    >
    > One day, people have to upgrade their browsers, you know. Otherwise,
    > you'll always downgrade your whole code to cater for only 4% of users or
    > do multiple versions of whole sites... which is absurd. Catering for
    > MSIE 4 and NS 4 users does not make any sense at all in my mind.

    True but my site looked (for want of a better term) shit in Netscape and
    Opera so I edited it slightly, but it took away from the IE appearance, so I
    had to do this.

    Phil Thompson, Sep 2, 2003

  3. DU

    DU Guest

    Phil Thompson wrote:

    > "DU" <> wrote in message

    >>96% of browsers in use out there have a very good support for DOM1 and
    >>CSS1. Whenever I do a webpage (not a complex one), I code for these
    >>browsers. For the other 4%, I only check if the content is accessible: I
    >>do not make any extra effort for these browsers to render the layout
    >>like it is in DOM1 and CSS1 compliant browsers.
    >>
    >>One day, people have to upgrade their browsers, you know. Otherwise,
    >>you'll always downgrade your whole code to cater for only 4% of users or
    >>do multiple versions of whole sites... which is absurd. Catering for
    >>MSIE 4 and NS 4 users does not make any sense at all in my mind.
    >>

    > True but my site looked (for want of a better term) shit in Netscape and
    > Opera so I edited it slightly, but it took away from the IE appearance, so I
    > had to do this.

    When you mention Netscape, are you referring to NS 7.1 or are you
    referring to NS 4.72? I see a huge difference here. When you're speaking
    of Opera, are you referring to Opera 7.11 or to Opera 5.01? Again, I
    see a huge difference in all kinds of perspectives (global usage, DOM
    and CSS compliance, etc.).

    Even if a webpage looks like shit in NS 4.72, if the content is
    accessible, if such webpage content can be accessed, then I do not care
    about looks, visual layout. What is the most important point in my
    perspective is that a webpage complies with W3C web standards and that
    standard, normal and reasonable efforts have been deployed to make such
    page accessible and usable. And there is a limit to what should be
    expected to do for old and non-compliant browsers or web-aware devices,
    applications, etc..

    Of course, a website should also mention that its code is aimed
    at/intended for W3C web standards compliant browsers and that it was
    tested with the most popular W3C web standards compliant browsers.

    Catering for MSIE 4 and NS 4 (browser versions designed more than 6
    years ago) does not make sense.

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs: