Re: Check your Wikis

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tom Plunket, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. Tom Plunket

    Tom Plunket Guest

    Paul Boddie wrote:

    > I know that it's "against the Wiki way" or <insert other devotion
    > statement to arbitrary principles here>, but is it really that
    > intrusive to insist that people register to edit Wikis containing
    > useful and important information? Although it has been quite
    > dormant, the Webware Wiki managed to secure contributions from
    > motivated people whilst insisting on registration, for example.

    I recently registered and added stuff to the wxPython Wiki,
    because the existing information was incorrect on my platform. I
    almost didn't bother because of the fact that I had to register,
    but by that point I had everything together that I needed to post
    so it seemed silly not to register.

    However, you can be sure that I won't be adding any more
    information to it. I just don't think that registration is
    necessary to have a good repository of information. Not to
    mention that TheRules on that site seem pretty... un-wiki...

    so it goes- how many more like me are there out there? How many
    more than that won't post anything because they have to register?
    Certainly the Wiki is not stronger for it.

    -tom!

    Tom Plunket, Jun 25, 2003

  2. Tom Plunket

    John J. Lee Guest

    Tom Plunket <> writes:
    [...]
    > I recently registered and added stuff to the wxPython Wiki,
    > because the existing information was incorrect on my platform. I
    > almost didn't bother because of the fact that I had to register,

    [...]

    It *is* a disincentive to have to register. How many people
    contributing to wikis think their contribution is earth-shakingly
    important? They don't, and they already have 50 username/password
    combinations to keep straight.

    Why not have a undo-able wiki? Seems like the best solution. The
    Zope site does that, IIRC, and I don't think they need to use the undo
    facility very often.

    John

    John J. Lee, Jun 26, 2003