Re: CheckBox in a DataGrid and a datatable field

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Just D, May 24, 2004.

  1. Just D

    Just D Guest

    Hi Calvin,

    Thanks for your answer. Yes, I'm able to get the CheckBox status in every
    cell. You can take a look, it was very helpful to write my own code based on
    this example:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;320707

    But the problem was - I can't get the event when this click happened to
    create a SQL command and send to the database automatically, without "Apply"
    button as was used in this example. That's a problem for me.

    ItemCreated... It's really not like ItemCreated, I just change the status of
    the CheckBox control in the cells, I can get all cells with these changes
    using foreach like in the example above, but to catch this moment when I
    should do that, it's a real problem.

    Probably I could use Select/Edit/Cancel ot whatever, it has its own event
    that I can catch, but the customer wants to get a CheckBox only.

    Thanks,
    Just D.
    "Calvin Luttrell/ProjectThunder.com" <> wrote in
    message news:%...
    Just D,

    I think I would look in to the ItemCreated even on the datagrid. You
    should be able to access the controls property from each cell. Very creative
    solution BTW. Did you think about just making a background process to reset
    these values?

    -Calvin Luttrell
    ProjectThunder.com

    > Does anybody know how to write the following code?
    >
    > I have a database table with a few columns including: ID [int], "Task"
    > [varchar], ForceRun [bit]. I need to show the DataGrid on the ASPX page

    with
    > these selected fields and allow user to click one or more CheckBox

    controls
    > to activate this bit on the database table for a required ID.
    >
    > I have already added a template column to the DataGrid and I can get the
    > CheckBox status from this CheckBox for each string. If I click a button
    > "Apply" on this page I can get a full list of changed items and send a

    SQL
    > command to the database to activate these bits. It works, but...
    >
    > The customer wants this aspx page to be updated automatically, once per
    > selected time, for example one time per 10 seconds. I think that I have

    only
    > two possible ways to do that.
    >
    > 1. I need to read the status of these CheckBox controls from the

    DataGrid
    > and create a SQL string to send to the database immediately after

    changes,
    > just after the user clicked this control.
    > 2. Wait for the auto refresh and work with the whole DataGrid before the
    > page is updated. I have this functions but I don't know how to call it
    > before updating of the page.
    >
    > I used this tag to reload the page automatically. It works fine.

    > But it causes a full reload of the page including the datagrid and I

    can't
    > get the CheckBox status on Page_Load() because the DataGrid resets every
    > time on Page_Load(). I think that I need some event to check the status

    of
    > these CheckBox controls in the DataGrid before content reloading. But

    how?
    > If I go the first way, what event should I use to understand that the

    user
    > clicked the CheckBox to work with these changes after the changes have

    been

    Just D, May 24, 2004