Re: Checking links and robots.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Luigi Donatello Asero, Aug 14, 2004.

    > "Jukka K. Korpela" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Well. may-be that someone from W3C has something to say about the
    > > > opinion you have expressed.

    > > Perhaps. There's a rich supply of opinions in the world. But they lack
    > > reasonable arguments.

    > And who should decide which opinions lack reasonable arguments?
    > > > I find it useful to have the icons because they let me check faster
    > > > if the page which I have updated is still valid or not.

    > > If you have difficulties in using a validator, then you should find some
    > > convenient tools for the purpose, like bookmarks. _Not_ pollute your
    > > pages with obscure icons. If you had problems with using a spelling
    > > checker, would you consider adding an icon that _claims_ that your text
    > > has been spelling checked, yet use it to _check_ whether its spelling is
    > > correct? If your page is not valid _all the time_, it is dishonest to
    > > claim (with the icon) that it is.

    You may also want to explain which page would not be valid all the time....
    if there is such it will be a pleasure for me to correct it or eliminate the
    icon on the same page..

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    http://www.italymap.dk

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Aug 14, 2004

  2. "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:

    > You may also want to explain which page would not be valid all the
    > time....

    If you think it will be valid all the time, why do say that you use it to
    check validity? Why check something that you already know?

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 14, 2004

  3. "Jukka K. Korpela" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:
    >
    > > You may also want to explain which page would not be valid all the
    > > time....

    > If you think it will be valid all the time, why do say that you use it to
    > check validity? Why check something that you already know?

    One page can be valid the first time and afterwards I may want to add
    something to its content and update the page.
    I try to add it in a way that it should still be valid. The icons are a part
    of the page, so it might occurr that they alter themselves the validity of
    the page if I tested the page without them. The only way to test if the page
    is valid is to test it after the icons have been put there. If you test the
    page before you only see if the page is valid without the icons which you
    want to put afterwards.
    If I find out that there are errors I usually correct them within some
    minutes.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Aug 14, 2004
  4. "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:

    > One page can be valid the first time and afterwards I may want to add
    > something to its content and update the page.

    Yes, and you can do that by validating it before upload. Or after it.
    No need for icons.

    > The icons are
    > a part of the page, so it might occurr that they alter themselves the
    > validity of the page if I tested the page without them. The only way
    > to test if the page is valid is to test it after the icons have been
    > put there.

    I think this illustrates, in a small scale, yet another hole you have dug
    for yourself with the icons.

    > If I find out that there are errors I usually correct them within
    > some minutes.

    Well, maybe. This still leaves an opportunity for people seeing an
    invalid page claiming to be valid. Moreover, it happens that people just
    forget to re-validate, e.g. because the phone rings...

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 14, 2004
  5. "Jukka K. Korpela" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:
    >
    > > One page can be valid the first time and afterwards I may want to add
    > > something to its content and update the page.

    > Yes, and you can do that by validating it before upload. Or after it.
    > No need for icons.

    You may think what you want but it is good if you can respect other peoplesĀ“
    opinions too
    > > The icons are
    > > a part of the page, so it might occurr that they alter themselves the
    > > validity of the page if I tested the page without them. The only way
    > > to test if the page is valid is to test it after the icons have been
    > > put there.

    > I think this illustrates, in a small scale, yet another hole you have dug
    > for yourself with the icons.

    Are you good at self-criticism as well?
    > > If I find out that there are errors I usually correct them within
    > > some minutes.

    > Well, maybe. This still leaves an opportunity for people seeing an
    > invalid page claiming to be valid. Moreover, it happens that people just
    > forget to re-validate, e.g. because the phone rings...

    This seems to me quite the same as when one indicates links as sources.
    Although I tend to give the homepage of the websites where the sources are
    contained it may still happen that the website does not exist any more after
    a while. Besides the website is under construction and update. Updating
    includes the icons!
    Therefore I do not share your opinion.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Aug 14, 2004