Re: Checking web pages written in Javascript

Discussion in 'Java' started by Joe Colella, Dec 19, 2006.

  1. Joe Colella

    Joe Colella Guest

    "Phlip" <> wrote in message
    > Joe Colella wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to check a web page for updates that is written
    >> in JavaScript and requires me to log on with a username and
    >> password, then email me a snapshot of the web page or a
    >> copy of the web page.
    >>
    >> Is there any software out there will let me do this?

    > Get with Watir; it will drive any website, nearly any way you like, using
    > IE in Automation mode. To get a snapshot, you could copy out the browser's
    > version of the HTML (essentially a dump of the DOM's objects' states), or
    > you can rig a screen capture program to record the actual surface of IE.
    >
    > I have done this several times, in several ways, so feel free to ask about
    > the process, here or on the Watir mailing list. The runner-up is Selenium,
    > but I haven't used that yet.
    >
    > --
    > Phlip
    > http://www.greencheese.us/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!!

    Phlip,

    Joe
    Joe Colella, Dec 19, 2006

  2. Joe Colella

    Guest

    Joe Colella wrote:
    > "Phlip" <> wrote in message
    > > Joe Colella wrote:
    > >
    > >> I would like to check a web page for updates that is written
    > >> in JavaScript and requires me to log on with a username and
    > >> password, then email me a snapshot of the web page or a
    > >> copy of the web page.
    > >>
    > >> Is there any software out there will let me do this?

    > > Get with Watir; it will drive any website, nearly any way you like, using
    > > IE in Automation mode. To get a snapshot, you could copy out the browser's
    > > version of the HTML (essentially a dump of the DOM's objects' states), or
    > > you can rig a screen capture program to record the actual surface of IE.
    > >
    > > I have done this several times, in several ways, so feel free to ask about
    > > the process, here or on the Watir mailing list. The runner-up is Selenium,
    > > but I haven't used that yet.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Phlip
    > > http://www.greencheese.us/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!!
    > >

    > Phlip,
    >
    > Thank you very much for your assistance.
    >
    > Joe

    Phlip,

    Wow... That's way complicated!!!

    Joe
    , Dec 20, 2006

  3. Joe Colella

    Guest

    Using SWEA it could be only a few lines of code:

    explorerManager.Connect();
    explorerManager.LoadProject("Test.htp");
    explorerManager.Navigate("http://www.google.com/");
    scene = explorerManager["Scene_0"];
    scene.WaitForActive(30000);
    scene.HtmlInputText("q").Value = "c#";
    scene.HtmlInputButton("btnG").Click();
    scene = explorerManager["Scene_1"];
    scene.WaitForActive(30000);
    Image img =
    explorerManager.GetExplorerWindowImage(scene.RuntimeSceneInfo.HWND);
    img.Save("test.jpg", ImageFormat.Jpeg);

    wrote:
    > Joe Colella wrote:
    > > "Phlip" <> wrote in message

    > > > Get with Watir; it will drive any website, nearly any way you like, using
    > > > IE in Automation mode. To get a snapshot, you could copy out the browser's
    > > > version of the HTML (essentially a dump of the DOM's objects' states), or
    > > > you can rig a screen capture program to record the actual surface of IE.
    > > >
    > > > I have done this several times, in several ways, so feel free to ask about
    > > > the process, here or on the Watir mailing list. The runner-up is Selenium,
    > > > but I haven't used that yet.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Phlip
    > > > http://www.greencheese.us/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!!
    > > >

    > > Phlip,
    > >
    > > Thank you very much for your assistance.
    > >
    > > Joe

    > Phlip,
    >
    > Wow... That's way complicated!!!
    >
    > Joe
    , Dec 20, 2006
  4. Joe Colella

    Phlip Guest

    Joe Colella wrote:

    > Wow... That's way complicated!!!

    Sorry - you weren't specific about your constraints, so I picked the
    system that works on any web site, and collects an exact picture of the
    surface of the browser. (Thousands of engineers use Watir to test their
    websites; a technique that generally reduces complexity, overall...)

    You could also try HttpUnit, but that won't get an exact picture. And
    the more control over your website, the simpler your solution can be...

    --
    Phlip
    Phlip, Dec 20, 2006