Re: Chinese text in HTML page and Byte-Order Mark

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Ben Bacarisse, May 28, 2013.

  1. Alfred Molon <> writes:

    > I've noticed that some pages use <span lang="zh" xml:lang="zh"> to embed
    > Chinese text, but even simply embedding Chinese text in a UTF-8 HTML
    > page seems to work fine as well, for instance:
    > http://www.molon.de/galleries/Taiwan/Kaohsiung/Skyline/
    >
    > Why then would this language declaration be necessary?

    It lets the reader (either human or mechanical) know what language a
    piece of text is written in. For example, a voice-based browser needs
    to pronounce

    <h1 lang=en>Les Chats</h1>

    and

    <h1 lang=fr>Les Chats</h1>