Re: Clearing floaters in Mozilla

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Fly Cooter, Aug 20, 2005.

  1. Fly Cooter

    Fly Cooter Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >Hello
    >
    >Consider the following simple piece of HTML
    >
    ><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    >"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

    >left"></div>

    >In IE 6 the 'clear' property in the second <div> appears to work, i.e. the
    >second <div> is placed below the first one. In Mozilla 1.7.8 it is placed to

    the
    >right from the first <div>, i.e. it looks like the second <div>'s 'clear'
    >property is completely ignored.
    >
    >Why is this happening? Which browser is behaving correctly? And if Mozilla's
    >behavior is correct, then what's is the proper way to clear the floaters by
    >using CSS properties?
    >
    >I know that <br clear="all"> will work in Mozilla, but it has its own issues

    and
    >also I'd like to be able to do it through CSS properties.

    If you're using Windows, you should stick with IE because it was created for
    Windows. Don't mess with Mozilla or Netscape. If you insist on using a
    different browser, try Opera (but it still doesn't beat IE).

    --
    Fly Cooter
    http://fly-cooter.tripod.com
    Fly Cooter, Aug 20, 2005

  2. Fly Cooter

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Fly Cooter quothed:

    > >I know that <br clear="all"> will work in Mozilla, but it has its own issues

    > and
    > >also I'd like to be able to do it through CSS properties.

    > If you're using Windows, you should stick with IE because it was created for
    > Windows. Don't mess with Mozilla or Netscape. If you insist on using a
    > different browser, try Opera (but it still doesn't beat IE).

    That's bullshit. Sure, Mozilla has problems and plenty of them but IE
    has a class of greater-magnitude problems that shouldn't be extant. The
    message prior to this original is a perfect example of what happens when
    IE tries to "compensate" for faulty markup.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Aug 20, 2005

  3. Fly Cooter wrote:

    > If you're using Windows, you should stick with IE because it was created for
    > Windows. Don't mess with Mozilla or Netscape. If you insist on using a
    > different browser, try Opera (but it still doesn't beat IE).

    Ever find out how to access Google Groups with an NNTP news client,
    like you've sworn can be done?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 20, 2005
  4. On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Fly Cooter wrote:

    > If you're using Windows, you should stick with IE because it was
    > created for Windows.

    Don't change your posting address, you clearly don't have the remotest
    clue. About anything much, if you think that a choice of OS rules out
    the use of third party applications!

    > Don't mess with Mozilla or Netscape. If you insist on using a
    > different browser, try Opera (but it still doesn't beat IE).

    This very thread reminds us that IE rules itself out as a
    web-compatible browser by disregarding mandatory requirements
    of the interworking protocol.

    Bye.
    Alan J. Flavell, Aug 20, 2005
  5. begin quotation
    from Fly Cooter <>
    in message <1124510635.ae80b85928741163a84fd52500d9f461@bubbanews>
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> In IE 6 the 'clear' property in the second <div> appears to work,
    >> i.e. the second <div> is placed below the first one. In Mozilla 1.7.8
    >> it is placed to the right from the first <div>, i.e. it looks like
    >> the second <div>'s 'clear' property is completely ignored.
    >>
    >> Why is this happening? Which browser is behaving correctly? And if
    >> Mozilla's behavior is correct, then what's is the proper way to clear
    >> the floaters by using CSS properties?
    >>
    >> I know that <br clear="all"> will work in Mozilla, but it has its own
    >> issues and also I'd like to be able to do it through CSS properties.

    > If you're using Windows, you should stick with IE because it was created for
    > Windows. Don't mess with Mozilla or Netscape. If you insist on using a
    > different browser, try Opera (but it still doesn't beat IE).

    Absolutely terrible advice. Internet Explorer has more holes in it than
    Swiss cheese, and fails miserably to implement many standards properly
    (most notably, CSS, HTML, HTTP, and PNG).

    There are reasons why Windows versions of Mozilla and Opera exist; the
    one I can think of right off-hand is so one person can use the same
    browser on multiple operating systems. There is no native, currently
    maintained version of Internet Explorer for GNU/Linux and other GNU
    variants, OpenBSD, NetBSD, FreeBSD, Solaris, AIX, HP/UX, MacOS 9, MacOS
    X, IRIX, and, for that matter, just about every other operating system
    out there *not* made by Microsoft.

    --
    / __| |/ / _ \ |*| Shawn K. Quinn
    Shawn K. Quinn, Aug 20, 2005