Re: Clever One Liners

Discussion in 'Python' started by Curly Joe, Jul 3, 2003.

  1. Curly Joe

    Curly Joe Guest

    I agree with you, especially since the compiler, in
    most cases, must break everything down into single
    steps anyway. Take for instance a very simple
    example:
    x = a + b/c
    The compiler would execute this as:
    x = b/c
    x += a
    While most people would no do this, we do have a
    problem with "line bloat" software. It would likely
    take someone who is debugging the program for the
    first time longer to figure out one of these twisted
    contortions than it took the original programmer to
    create it in the first place (and perhaps that's the
    point). If someone asks how to do something on one
    line or in the shortest amount of space, that's
    another situation, but for many of the questions it is
    obvious that the person is new to Python and sometimes
    to programming, which means their response would be
    "Huh? I don't have a clue as to what that means."

    Michael Chermside wrote:
    I'm not picking on you in particular, there have been
    several people
    doing this lately, but I'd like to ask folks to please
    lay off the
    quest for one-liners.

    http://sbc.yahoo.com

    Curly Joe, Jul 3, 2003