Re: CLI Java Glitch

Discussion in 'Java' started by Jeff Higgins, Jun 21, 2011.

  1. Jeff Higgins

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    On 06/20/2011 05:24 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
    > Dear Java'ers:
    >
    > Given
    >
    > class HelloWorld
    > {
    > public static void main(String[] args)
    > {
    > System.out.println("Hello, world!");
    >
    > is there any way around the following?
    >
    > C:\cbs2dev\test>java helloworld

    maybe a wrapper script
    Jeff Higgins, Jun 21, 2011

  2. Jeff Higgins

    Lew Bloch Guest

    On Jun 20, 4:11 pm, Jeff Higgins <> wrote:
    > On 06/20/2011 05:24 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
    >
    > > Dear Java'ers:

    > >       Given

    > > class HelloWorld
    > >     {
    > >     public static void main(String[] args)
    > >        {
    > >        System.out.println("Hello, world!");
    > >        }
    > >     }

    > > is there any way around the following?

    > > C:\cbs2dev\test>java helloworld

    > maybe a wrapper script

    That would not help in this case. Think about the problem and you
    will see why.

    OK, I'll tell you why. Wrapper scripts don't help in the face of
    egregious error.

    Perhaps you should be specific with your suggestion. "Maybe a wrapper
    script" is about as useful as advice as "maybe a program to help
    you". Could you elucidate precisely what sort of "wrapper script" you
    have in mind, and precisely how you believe it would help, and
    precisely how that would ameliorate egregious error?

    --
    Lew
    Lew Bloch, Jun 21, 2011

  3. Jeff Higgins

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    On 06/20/2011 07:25 PM, Lew Bloch wrote:
    > On Jun 20, 4:11 pm, Jeff Higgins<> wrote:
    >> On 06/20/2011 05:24 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dear Java'ers:

    >>> Given

    >>> class HelloWorld
    >>> {
    >>> public static void main(String[] args)
    >>> {
    >>> System.out.println("Hello, world!");
    >>> }
    >>> }

    >>> is there any way around the following?

    >>> C:\cbs2dev\test>java helloworld

    >> maybe a wrapper script

    > That would not help in this case. Think about the problem and you
    > will see why.
    >
    > OK, I'll tell you why. Wrapper scripts don't help in the face of
    > egregious error.
    >
    > Perhaps you should be specific with your suggestion. "Maybe a wrapper
    > script" is about as useful as advice as "maybe a program to help
    > you". Could you elucidate precisely what sort of "wrapper script" you
    > have in mind, and precisely how you believe it would help, and
    > precisely how that would ameliorate egregious error?

    What error?
    Jeff Higgins, Jun 21, 2011
  4. Jeff Higgins

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    > 1. Create a helloworld.bat script (I'm assuming, given the wish to
    > ignore case, that this is MS-Windows specific) that runs the java
    > command with the correct spelling of the class name. Users who run the
    > script could ignore case.

    On Vista+ I believe you can use mklink instead of a batch file.

    > 2. Create a general script, javaignorecase.bat, that takes the same
    > parameters as the java command. It would scan the class path for
    > classes. If it found one that matches its class name argument ignoring
    > case, it would run the java command substituting the actual class name
    > for its class name argument and passing through the rest of the
    > arguments unchanged.

    I was going to call mine javaci, but this may fall into the egrigulous
    category, not sure.

    Jeff Higgins, Jun 21, 2011
  5. Jeff Higgins

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    On 06/20/2011 08:37 PM, Jeff Higgins wrote:

    > I was going to call mine javaci, but this may fall into the egrigulous
    > category, not sure.

    Oops, ungrinulous. ;)
    Jeff Higgins, Jun 21, 2011
  6. Jeff Higgins

    Lew Bloch Guest

    Jeff Higgins wrote:
    > Lew Bloch wrote:
    >> Jeff Higgins wrote:

    >>> maybe a wrapper script

    >> That would not help in this case.  Think about the problem and you
    >> will see why.

    >> OK, I'll tell you why.  Wrapper scripts don't help in the face of
    >> egregious error.

    >> Perhaps you should be specific with your suggestion.  "Maybe a wrapper
    >> script" is about as useful as advice as "maybe a program to help
    >> you".  Could you elucidate precisely what sort of "wrapper script" you
    >> have in mind, and precisely how you believe it would help, and
    >> precisely how that would ameliorate egregious error?

    > What error?

    The error the OP made. Duhh.

    Now, how about responding to the request for details instead of
    continuing with vague, indirect, fairly unhelpful responses?

    --
    Lew
    Lew Bloch, Jun 21, 2011
  7. Jeff Higgins

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    Ping: Lew Bloch

    I'm sorry, I use Thunderbird and eternal-september
    and for some reason I can see that you have replied
    but I cannot see the body of your message or reply to it.

    I've retrieved some context from Google Groups and
    copy/pasted, and will reply to it here.

    Jeff Higgins wrote:
    > Lew Bloch wrote:
    >> Jeff Higgins wrote:

    >>> maybe a wrapper script

    >> That would not help in this case. Think about the problem and you
    >> will see why.

    >> OK, I'll tell you why. Wrapper scripts don't help in the face of
    >> egregious error.

    >> Perhaps you should be specific with your suggestion. "Maybe a wrapper
    >> script" is about as useful as advice as "maybe a program to help
    >> you". Could you elucidate precisely what sort of "wrapper script" you
    >> have in mind, and precisely how you believe it would help, and
    >> precisely how that would ameliorate egregious error?

    > What error?

    The error the OP made. Duhh.

    Now, how about responding to the request for details instead of
    continuing with vague, indirect, fairly unhelpful responses?

    No, thanks. I'll await a request from the OP for clarification.
    Jeff Higgins, Jun 21, 2011
  8. Jeff Higgins

    Lew Bloch Guest

    Re: Ping: Lew Bloch

    Jeff Higgins wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    >> Now, how about responding to the request for details instead of
    >> continuing with vague, indirect, fairly unhelpful responses?

    > No, thanks. I'll await a request from the OP for clarification.

    It'll be interesting to see how the OP can clarify your point, but all
    right. I'll grab some popcorn and a beer; this should be fun.

    --
    Lew
    Lew Bloch, Jun 21, 2011
  9. Jeff Higgins

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    Re: Ping: Lew Bloch

    I'll grab some popcorn and a beer; this should be fun.
    Enjoy. :)
    Jeff Higgins, Jun 21, 2011
  10. Jeff Higgins

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2011, Jeff Higgins wrote:

    > On 06/20/2011 08:37 PM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
    >
    >> I was going to call mine javaci, but this may fall into the egrigulous
    >> category, not sure.

    > Oops, ungrinulous. ;)

    Gregarious?

    tom

    --
    No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river
    and he's not the same man. -- Heraclitus
    Tom Anderson, Jun 21, 2011