Re: Code suggestion - List comprehension

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mark Lawrence, Dec 12, 2013.

  1. On 12/12/2013 20:40, Shyam Parimal Katti wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a list of sql queries, some which are split across multiple list
    > elements e.x.
    > ['drop table sample_table;', 'create table sample_test', '(col1 int);',
    > 'select col1 from', ' sample_test;']
    >
    > A semi-colon in the string value indicates the termination of a sql
    > query. So the expected out come is a conversion to a list of valid sql
    > queries:
    > ['drop table sample_table;', 'create table sample_test (col1 int);',
    > 'select col1 from sample_test;']
    >
    > Here is the code that does that:
    >
    > sample = ['drop table sample_table;', 'create table sample_test', '(col1
    > int);', 'select col1 from', ' sample_test;']
    > pure_sqls = []
    > query_holder= ''
    > for each_line in sample:
    > query_holder += each_line
    > if query_holder.endswith(';'):
    > pure_sqls.append(query_holder)
    > query_holder = ''
    >

    > Is there a way to do this by eliminating explicit creation of new
    > list(pure_sqls) and a temporary variable(query_holder)? Using list
    > comprehension? Though I don't want to put the shorter version in
    > production(if it is difficult to understand), I am looking if this can
    > be done with list comprehension since I am trying to learn list
    > comprehension by using it in such scenarios.

    I don't think this can be done with a list comprehension. As you appear
    to have a perfectly good piece of code, if it ain't broke, don't fix it
    :) Maybe change one line.

    if query_holder[-1] == ';':

    what you can do for our language.

    Mark Lawrence