Re: Comparison of Java, C# for development on Windows and future for them

Discussion in 'Java' started by Maciek, Jan 8, 2003.

  1. Maciek

    Maciek Guest

    Tim Ward wrote:

    > "Belinda" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> But right now my only
    >> development platform will be Windows. I am supposed to make this
    >> decision for my company I am free to choose C# or Java.

    > As long as you are sure you only need to target Windows:
    >
    > One issue is that Java apps look like Java apps, even with the Windows
    > look-and-feel set. So if you want to build things that look like proper
    > Windows GUI applications don't choose Java.
    >
    > --
    > Tim Ward
    > Brett Ward Limited - www.brettward.co.uk

    Have you tried the SWT toolkit? On Linux it looks like typical GTK2 GUI (or
    Motif), on Windows it looks like... well, typical Windows GUI. And it seems
    to be faster than Swing/AWT, I bet it's using some native libs so it's not
    100% portable (unless you care to provide an installer using Swing which
    can detect the platform and install the correct native lib + SWT jar)

    You can get it at http://www.eclipse.org I believe. Check out the
    screenshots, Eclipse is using SWT for their GUI.

    I'm certainly not an expert. Although I try my best, my posts should not be
    regarded as 100% accurate and reliable.
    Maciek, Jan 8, 2003