Re: Compile for IBM Mainframe + performance

Discussion in 'Python' started by Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou, Aug 23, 2003.

  1. On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:49:04 +0200, rumours say that "Jaco van Tonder"
    <> might have written:

    >Hi There

    Hi Jaco

    >We are currently busy with a conversion project on substantial data volumes
    >using python.
    >Conversion program currently compiled for AIX, Sun and NT .

    "Conversion program currently compiled"... seems you are rewriting in
    Python an already existing program?

    >There is a direct relation between the size of the processors and the speed
    >of the program(Hence NT platform outperforming AIX and Sun).

    By size I presume you mean MHz speed? Obviously not the physical size
    of the processor (although the latter allows for more electrons running
    wild inside the CPU :)

    >Is there any suggestions on how the speed of the program might be improved.

    Sure: I suggest you make it faster (generic answer for a generic
    question :)

    >Is it possible to compile python for a Mainframe(IBM) environment.

    Yes it is, others have done it for AIX. In case you don't have a C
    compiler for your (generic) IBM Mainframe, try installing the gcc
    compiler; there must be some "official" installation offered by IBM or
    by others. It's possible though that the python executable will be
    faster if compiled with the IBM compilers (this is the case for SGI
    Irix, MIPSPro-compiled python is faster than gcc-compiled one).

    >Are there any special patches or considerations that have to be taken into
    >account when compiling for the Mainframe environment.

    You'll have to search google (and groups.google.com) with some relevant
    keywords. Then, you might come back with more specific questions.
    --
    TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,
    Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou, Aug 23, 2003