Re: Compiling and installing python 2.5.2 with Visual C++ 2008

Discussion in 'Python' started by Juan Pablo Romero Méndez, Dec 10, 2008.

  1. Thanks!

    I'm having trouble with msi.py, so I'll better try python 2.6

    The problem is with Pivy (openinventor bindings to python), it refuses
    to compile. It says:

    error: Python was built with Visual Studio 2003;
    extensions must be built with a compiler than can generate compatible binaries.
    Visual Studio 2003 was not found on this system. If you have Cygwin installed,
    you can try compiling with MingW32, by passing "-c mingw32" to setup.py.

    And because I've been compiling everything needed by pivy (Coin, Qt,
    SoQt, PyQt) with visual c++ 8, I decided to recompile python itself.

    Juan Pablo

    Juan Pablo Romero Méndez, Dec 10, 2008

  2. > ---------------------------------------------------------
    > error: Python was built with Visual Studio 2003;
    > extensions must be built with a compiler than can generate compatible binaries.
    > Visual Studio 2003 was not found on this system. If you have Cygwin installed,
    > you can try compiling with MingW32, by passing "-c mingw32" to setup.py.
    >
    > And because I've been compiling everything needed by pivy (Coin, Qt,
    > SoQt, PyQt) with visual c++ 8, I decided to recompile python itself.

    There isn't a real installation procedure. You just copy the files by
    hand into the places where they belong. In the specific case,
    overwriting all .exe, .dll, and .pyd files in an installed directory
    should be sufficient.

    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin v. Löwis, Dec 10, 2008

  3. Finally installed Python 2.6, which is compiled with visual C++ 2008,
    and all my problems went away.

    Thanks to all,

    Juan Pablo

    Juan Pablo Romero Méndez, Dec 11, 2008